New to these waters

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
Hello all, thought id pop in say hello. I am new to these here waters and strangely noticed been watching waaaay to much pirates of the Caribbean ..:wall: anyhow very intrested in fish keeping and not the little things i have been keeping since i was little feel like i wana try larger animals with more attitude even if i just start out small and work my way up.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK :) If you have any questions concerning Firemouths, or any other cichla just ask there are members here that have tons of experience, and knowledge. The Cichlid forum has a lot of information as well :)

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
i have a few questions, and i already have a 30 gallon long cycled with some cheap fish for about 2 weeks and 3 filters which are a over hang up to 70g, a 50g air pump/sponge filter and a 100 g canister filter in, getting some cichlid stones (2) one for each side. anyhow my questions are: would a breeding pair of firemouths be ok in the 30 gallon, i am also setting up a 45-50 gal aquarium which is going to be a show tank but i was told to hold off from my parents (yes i am nearly 24 and still live with my folks) and not to get ahead of myself, and wait which is fine i need to get back to work after i busted my ankle falling down the stairs and make money again. reading some care guides for the last couple of weeks, fire mouths like 70-75 degree water or that to cold?

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
I'd keep the temperature in the 72-75 range but when breeding I would always raise the temperature to about 79-82. A pair of firemouths would be okay in a 30 gallon for a while but males can get some decent size to them so honestly I would say they would be way more comfortable in a 40 breeder since it not as high but instead wide but a young pair of firemouths would be fine in that tank for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
i also read a verity of foods is the best feeding method so i did a little lurking and found ken's fish store and i was amazed by the products and what not i found the cichlid sticks mix bag with various types of the sticks in it. would this work as a food source since it has a mixed group of foods or would i need another type to go with it?

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
i also read a verity of foods is the best feeding method so i did a little lurking and found ken's fish store and i was amazed by the products and what not i found the cichlid sticks mix bag with various types of the sticks in it. would this work as a food source since it has a mixed group of foods or would i need another type to go with it?
Firemouths will eat anything...they arnt picky what so ever !! when I was breeding ca/sa cichlids this is what my fishes diet consisted of to give you an idea of diversity! You by no means need to go to this length but I had 13 tanks at the time and a whole mess of fish so I always had a bunch of different foods on hand

For you the most important thing for them is a good stable diet of a good pellet and mix in something meaty every now and then maybe twice a week. And switch it up if you do krill one week do bloodworms the next week or cut up some tilapia or earthworms in bite size pieces for them. Something along those lines. Diversity never hurts by any means !!

Pellets and flake was always there daily source of food an every other day to every third day I'd also give them something meaty

So my fish would get NLS flakes and pellets, massivore pellets, krill, silversides, bloodworms,tilapia fillets, earthworms, shrimp, and on rare occasions they would get some beef heart and brine shrimp

You can feed flakes but if you want fish to keep nice weight to them and grow faster pellets are the way to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
Long-time no see it is been a few years since I last logged on and made a post, decided to post here instead of making a new thread for now. pulled the trigger and got a 75 gallon used tank and stand that I am picking up Saturday that is all mine after selling the 30 my mom was given a 55 for a community aquarium setup (she commandeered the 30 when I first made this thread, she was scared of the monster fish XD) the Aquarium has 2 Fluval 306 canister filters and I cannot wait to see what will happen.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Long-time no see it is been a few years since I last logged on and made a post, decided to post here instead of making a new thread for now. pulled the trigger and got a 75 gallon used tank and stand that I am picking up Saturday that is all mine after selling the 30 my mom was given a 55 for a community aquarium setup (she commandeered the 30 when I first made this thread, she was scared of the monster fish XD) the Aquarium has 2 Fluval 306 canister filters and I cannot wait to see what will happen.
Welcome back!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store