New Year, New Changes...

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
First is sad news, lost my rare Batrochoglanis cat, 'Big Boy'. Had him for almost 6 years, an unidentified Peruvian species. Got him @ 5" and he grew to 11" over time. Very shy and reclusive, for years feeding exclusively on feeder goldfish until last year when he would come up out of his chunk of driftwood to eat 2 or 3 nightcrawlers from my hand and preferring them to the feeder fish. Here's a pic of him in his prime:
Big Boy.JPG
As of last year his colors changed to almost white, perhaps a sign of illness?
Big Boy-2.JPG
He finally quit eating and rapid breathing ensued as he left the driftwood for open space and became very lethargic. I treated the tank with everything I knew that could help but alas couldn't save him, sorry to say..

Update on the new giraffe cats, a. biscutatus. The 3 are doing well, feeding well and with the exception of one that comes out from the driftwood during the day at times, stay hidden. Observing them in the dark with the infrared monocular during feeding they seem to get along nicely, no observable aggression, nice! here's a pic of the less shy one:
A Biscutatus-1.jpg
Random Observations, got a Synodontis Batensoda a few months ago, hoping it would be less shy than my other fish in the tank but have never see it during the day since. Here's a pic from a random night shot. Apparently these grow fast as this one has grown by 3/4" in a few months.
S. Batensoda 2.JPG
In the same tank is a pair of dwarf giraffe cats, parauchenoglanis monkei, (very rare), got them in late 2017 @ 2" & 2 1/2", now the smaller one is maybe 2 1/2" but the big one is over 5"+! Here's a crappy pic when I surprised 'em the other night:
2- P.Monkei.JPG

After losing Big Boy there was an empty 60G tank so it was time to consider something new so I decided to try something different from my usual fascination with pseudopimelodids, auchenoglanis and parauchenoglanis critters. Maybe time for some 'purty" fish instead of 'camo' varieties, hence some new and rare Synodontis species, in this case Synodontis Pardalis:
S. Pardalis Pair 2.JPG
Stunners they are, since 4 were available I decided to try for a M&F pair, requesting that they could hopefully, be properly sexed by the vendor, if possible?
Haven't been able to verify the sexes but one is 4", the other 4 1/2". I found out that getting a pair wasn't such a great idea, (in a perfect world yeah) but the larger one started bullying the smaller one in the acclimation bucket, 2 minutes out of the bag! After introduction into the tank it didn't take long for the same behavior to continue. I was hoping that the chasing of each other was just playfulness and cavorting of an active species, uh, nope. Maybe just a territorial thing, both competing for the large piece of driftwood? I then added another piece of driftwood for the smaller fish, which helped very little, really. The dominant fish continued to harass the other somewhat frequently but each would take a break to feed at times. The small one just wasn't comfortable enough for me to think anything was going to change, so I decided it was in (his?) best interest to remove him and put him in the 75G tank with the new giraffe cats. We'll so how that works out in the coming days...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry to hear about Big Boy.
The pardalis are nice.They remind me of Synodontis decorus and I thought that the batensoda was a clarias at first.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Thanks all for the kind words, much appreciated! As we all know the hardest loss is when it's a creature that we could interact with through the years, real pets they were.
Learned some stuff with the s. pardalis, while they were together the larger fish chased and bit the small one and it squeaked! Now I know why synodontis are often called 'squeaker cats'! I observed one to flip upside down and skim the surface for food. The synodontis batensoda is known as an 'upsidedown synodontis' (among others) but haven't seen mine do that but then it's a shy hider so it may do that. I also found out that the s. pardalis is found only in the Dja River in Cameroon and is on the UCIN Red List as an endangered species! Not sure at the moment how to react to that.. Interesting to me is that my parauchenoglanis monkei also lives in that same river, coincidentally. BTW my screen name and my avatar drawing refers to pylodictis olivaris, flathead catfish, AKA 'yellowcat' in Texas parlance, (my favorite to fish for at The River). Coincidentally I found out that my new auchenoglanis biscutatus is also known as the 'yellow giraffe catfish'! Guess it was meant to be...

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
An update,4 1/2 months later.. Some changes and new fish too. First change involves the s. pardalis syno's. After 3 days together the larger one continued to harass the smaller one starting to shred it fins. In order to save it I had to move it to my newest 75G tank, in with the 3 new auchenoglanis biscutatus giraffe cats. After observing it's behaviour the first few nights, it seemed slightly aggressive and generally rowdy but didn't attack the G cats and after a few weeks calmed down. I don't see anyone in that tank during the day, only in darkness with the infrared viewer. The syno is more active during feeding but they all seem to get along. I did notice that the smaller of the 2 syno's has grown to the same size as the other one that has her own tank. The mean one ,this..
fem s. pardalis.JPG
Here's a an a. biscutatus..
a. biscutatus.jpg
I am so pleased with their growth rate, almost none! In three months the largest one has grow from 4" to maybe 5" at the most, just what I've been hoping for as this species only grows to about 12" a real "dwarf" auchenoglanis, unlike the a. occidentalis kinds that grow to a meter in length, been there many times. This the big 'un..
A. Biscutatus big'un.JPG

Since I only had the one syno in a 60G all by herself I decided to find a tank mate for her that wouldn't take to being bullied or had some armor, in case. I found a likely doradid online. I've kept all the large doradid species in the past, megaladoras, oxydoras, etc. Like 'em but had to sell them all when they got too big. Anyway found an anadoras grypus online and ordered one as it was supposed to be a 5 incher. After I paid for it, the seller got back to me and said he was all out of the adults and only had 3" size fish. After a wtf moment I decided to take it anyway. All went well with the fish, got it a couple of weeks ago. Really cute and active too, swimming all over the tank when the light gets low. The tank has a shipload of driftwood but this one is content in a corner. It's the most active doradid I've ever had. here's a pic..
A. grypus.JPG
Shortly after it's introduction, the s. pardalis started chasing it around too (why I wanted a 5" fish), anyway it was time to banish the syno to other quarters in with my 23 year old, 10" p. blochii, a few loaches, a bushynose pleco and the parauchenoglanis guttatus, deciding to put in the p. guttatus in with the new a. grypus. After deciding to move the driftwood and a long overdue gravel vacuuming, the fishes changed places. It worked out well, don't care much for the syno anymore, pretty but problematic. The dwarf giraffe cat and the new doradid get along nicely, mostly ignoring each other for the most part. What's cool is that I've had the p. guttatus for 4 years and haven't seen it in years but in it's new home I do see it at low light times. I got it at 2" and now it's almost 4". It's like getting a new fish! Here it is..
p. guttatus.JPG
I found out it's the same species as my 2 p. monkei in my bowfront 60G tank from 2 years ago, one the same size as this, the other almost 6".
In the bowfront tank I have 2 platysirus mucosus, 2 years on @ 5 1/2 & 6'" haven't grown much if at all. In the same tank is the synodontis batensoda. In 5 months it's grown from 1 1/2" to now about 5" and becoming less shy over time.. A pic:
synodontis batensoda.jpg
After things back in the original 60G were working out I figured there was room for a few more fish so started visiting my list of sites to see whats interesting for sale. Since the new doradid is such a delight I looked for another with my eye on a rhynodoras dorbigny, a vendor on here posted about having some 3 inchers, I sent an e-mail to buy one or two but never heard back. Looked around again and lo and behold someone had dwarf giraffe cats, my specialty! Supposed to parauchenoglanis sp. ansorgii which I'd never heard of, couldn't find on the 'net but still intrigued anyway. I decided to order 3 of 'em anyway, supposed to be 3" fish. Contacted the seller about the questionable ID and he sent me a better photo than one on the site. Comparing that with info on PlanetCatfish I finally found out the original name of the species stated was an ancient synonym for what is now known as notoglanidium macrostoma. Having already paid for them and all, another wtf moment and like before, send'em anyway... He also had an oddball primitive fish I think might be interesting, an African mudfish a.k.a. hingemouth, c. ansorgii (there's that name again) so I opted for one of those. They all arrived yesterday and are alive and well, feeding nicely and all in the tank getting along nicely. The n. macrostoma's are cute but turned out to be 2" fish not 3" as claimed by the seller. Some of these guys must be fishermen too? Anyway it's all good. The hingemouth is very active and interesting but very tiny like 2 1/2" long with the girth of 3/16" but I suppose it's all good. Right now plenty of time to watch baby fish grow I reckon..
Here's older others in my collection: c. fowleri

Latest C. Fowleri.JPG
p. blochii
p. blochii.JPG
p mucosus
Shovelnose p. mucosus  copy.jpg
Big p. monkei
p. monkei.JPG
p. ngamensis
p. ngamensis.JPG
This is the infrared viewing thing. A bit fiddely to use at times, images are in black and white but when adjusted properly shows great detail and very useful to observe my very nocturnal species I wouldn't otherwise see at all.
I.R. Viewer.JPG
No pictures of the new babies yet, there will be time.!
Cheers all, stay safe at home with your fishes if ya can....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Stunning write-up, Kirk!!! So glad to read about all of most of what you currently have.

I've had what now, thanks to you, I know as a couple of biscutatus 10-12 years ago when still in Rochester, NY. They looked very close to your photos, if not identical. Had them for 2 years. Haven't noted any growth :) Lost them on the move to FL in 2011.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store