New Zealand monster fish lover!

Megals

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2017
Hello everyone. I am so happy to discover other large fish lovers. Is there anyone here from New Zealand. My fresh water gourami is about 2 feet long at the moment, I am now at the point of a custom built tank and need your expertise. I am building this myself, I have a plywood safety glass idea and would like any advice on bonding these materials together. I was thinking silicone based glue, fibreglassing the ply and then using a non toxic resin over that????? Currently my boy is living in a 1000L plastic feet tank that farmers use, his new tank will be close to twice that size. I would also like info about using g solar power to run his heating and filtration. Thanks for having a group of monster fish experts, I do look forward to hearing your advice.
NZ
Megals :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello everyone. I am so happy to discover other large fish lovers. Is there anyone here from New Zealand. My fresh water gourami is about 2 feet long at the moment, I am now at the point of a custom built tank and need your expertise. I am building this myself, I have a plywood safety glass idea and would like any advice on bonding these materials together. I was thinking silicone based glue, fibreglassing the ply and then using a non toxic resin over that????? Currently my boy is living in a 1000L plastic feet tank that farmers use, his new tank will be close to twice that size. I would also like info about using g solar power to run his heating and filtration. Thanks for having a group of monster fish experts, I do look forward to hearing your advice.
NZ
Megals :)

Welcome aboard ! :)

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
You are on the right track with your idea. The king of sit built his 375 and that is exactly how I would do it myself. The solar idea is iffy with me, by the time you get it all set up properly (cost wise)you could probably run that tank for 5years. Personally I would use pond armour to seal the tank and 3m 5200 to install the glass.
What size are you planning to build?

Reactions: Megals and tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
David R David R is from NZ I think, welcome aboard :)

Reactions: Megals and tlindsey

Megals

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2017
You are on the right track with your idea. The king of sit built his 375 and that is exactly how I would do it myself. The solar idea is iffy with me, by the time you get it all set up properly (cost wise)you could probably run that tank for 5years. Personally I would use pond armour to seal the tank and 3m 5200 to install the glass.
What size are you planning to build?
I'm going to use standard sheet size and work with that. 2400x1200mm.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
David R David R is from NZ I think, welcome aboard :)
Yep! Don't check in as often as I should though. Plenty of good info here for DIY builds, though sometimes different products aren't available here. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Reactions: Megals

Megals

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2017
Yep! Don't check in as often as I should though. Plenty of good info here for DIY builds, though sometimes different products aren't available here. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Where are you from David?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Whangarei, Northland.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store