Newest addition.. Delhezi!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thanks, I'll get a fillet of tilapia next time i'm grocery shopping and cut thin strips out. I'll check if my LFS has silversides too. He's eating well. Still loves freeze dried shrimp the most but is starting to take hikari carnivore pellets. Won't touch shrimp pellets yet though.

bonus shots of future tank mates!

That looks like how my crew started you just need an albino. 1st sen 2nd albino 3 cteno 4 del. Now :eek::D:) so much.....lol

Reactions: magpie

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
I love Ctenos!
Ctenopomas are great! They've become one of my favorite fishes. Got him (I think i see spines on his gill plate) when he was about 3/4" and he's grown a decent amount since.

That looks like how my crew started you just need an albino. 1st sen 2nd albino 3 cteno 4 del. Now :eek::D:) so much.....lol
Ah don't tempt me! Saw a little 3in albino sen at my LFS the other day but decided against it for the time being because my Delhezi was already on the way. I'm sure I can set up another quarantine tank somewhere though...

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Great looking Delhezi. I just got into Poly's myself about 3-4weeks ago at the at suggestion of someone here on MFK when I was looking for something different for a new pair of 120g's I recently got. The poly I bought 3 weeks ago is a Delhezi as well, I'm totally in love with these guys now. I can see many more in my near future lol :D

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Great looking Delhezi. I just got into Poly's myself about 3-4weeks ago at the at suggestion of someone here on MFK when I was looking for something different for a new pair of 120g's I recently got. The poly I bought 3 weeks ago is a Delhezi as well, I'm totally in love with these guys now. I can see many more in my near future lol :D
welcome to the addiction

Reactions: Rhykiru

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
Thanks, I saw your Del from your thread in General! It made me even more excited to receive mine when I saw it haha. Can't wait for mine to grow to be as round and nice looking. What's the next poly on your list? I'm still debating an albino sen since sens are so active, but I also really like the patterns of a buettikoferi. I would love to get some lower jaws but that'll be a few years down the road when I'm more settled and can get a tank that I'll only need to move once.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
My plan is same as yours on the Albino Sen. Once I get the tank all done I am thinking I'll get an albino sen and maybe 2 more delhezi to go with them. Plus move over my 8" Bleekeri into the tank for some more mid level activity.

I'm still new to Poly's so you freeked me out there for a minute when you said "Buettikoferi". I'm a big cichlid guy so I was thinking of "Butterkoferi" which I use to have one of and it was pure Satan in fins it was so aggressive. Then I just googled "buettikoferi" and see thats actually a Poly lol. I'm still learning with these polys ;)

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
My plan is same as yours on the Albino Sen. Once I get the tank all done I am thinking I'll get an albino sen and maybe 2 more delhezi to go with them. Plus move over my 8" Bleekeri into the tank for some more mid level activity.

I'm still new to Poly's so you freeked me out there for a minute when you said "Buettikoferi". I'm a big cichlid guy so I was thinking of "Butterkoferi" which I use to have one of and it was pure Satan in fins it was so aggressive. Then I just googled "buettikoferi" and see thats actually a Poly lol. I'm still learning with these polys ;)
It's actually the name of a biologist there are alot of fish with the "buetterkoferi" moniker. I learned that when I went in to lfs and saw buetterkoferi labeed on the tank I was like I don't see a poly in here! Can you point out the buetterkoferi in this tank please? It's right there. Where? There! No! Really? Are you sure? I'm looking for poly palmas buetterkoferi and I just don't see it. Ohh no its that African cichlid right there blah blah blah.....psst what evsss!
Then I went to a different lfs and said oh you have a cichlid blah blah buetterkoferi somewhere in this tank? No its a poly. :eek::D

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
Yeah, seems like he was quite the zoologist! Didn't realize there was a cichlid buettikoferi too. I was googling to check spelling because I can never spell it right and saw pictures of bats named after him too. I'm assuming buttikoferi/buettekoferi/buttekoferi are all referring to Dr. Johann Büttikofer.

How is the temperament of your Bleekeri? I really like their patterns and that they're also from Africa albeit from a different country. I wonder if one would get along with my ctenopoma who swims midwater..

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Learn something new every day. I never knew that butterkoferi was some guys name that was attached to various fish species. I had no idea.

Far as my bleekeri. It's temperament is 100% mellow. When I got it was only about 4" and I was not sure of the gender. Now I've had it about 3 yrs and it's about 8| and I am 99% sure a female because it lacks the long pointed fins of a male. But she's really nice looking with her white/blue dots on her mostly black body. She gets a long with everyone in her tank (spotted silver dollars and a 5" albino Oscar. I'll have to snap a pic of her and post. She's a good looking fish. Nice and thick too shes a little tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store