Next year's freshwater fishing plans in Florida

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Do all of these species occurs in same area? Wont mind to go canal to canal to fishing for specific fish.

Spotted Tilapia
Blue Tilapia
Blackchin Tilapia
Mozambiique Tilapia
Oscar
Black Acara
Mayan cichlid
Midas cichlid
Jaguar Cichlid
PB
Bulleye snakehead

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
MN_Rebel;2934883; said:
Do all of these species occurs in same area? Wont mind to go canal to canal to fishing for specific fish.

Spotted Tilapia
Blue Tilapia
Blackchin Tilapia
Mozambiique Tilapia
Oscar
Black Acara
Mayan cichlid
Midas cichlid
Jaguar Cichlid
PB
Bulleye snakehead
I have seen/caught all the above in same area in same day but not snakehead-acara-blackchin tilipia. Have never seen them.
All caught on earthworms and/or wax worms.

The Mozambique adults are wild looking they look like a lure is hanging out of their mouths.
I have seen those in groups first time about 6 weeks ago but never caught one.

Since I dont have a boat other tham small PB have only caught nice adults in late Spring/Summer . They dont seem to bite if water temp under 80 near lake shore or canal edge.

rajzynger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
South Florida
A lot of those species do occur in same areas. I have never caught some of tilapia species listed. Mayans are in every body of water and slowly making there way to saltwater.Midas are mostly in Miami. Black acaras or port cichlids are being seen less and less because of the mayan. Hoping your only looking to catch snakeheads for recreation, you dont want to get caught with those.

Arapaimaman

In Loving Memory
Aug 27, 2005
Central Florida
In-fisherman magazine,March issue,has a great article on fishing for exotics here in Florida.I would love to hook up with you when you come down her to Florida.I live in central Florida.Give me a PM,thanks.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Arapaimaman;2944382; said:
In-fisherman magazine,March issue,has a great article on fishing for exotics here in Florida.I would love to hook up with you when you come down her to Florida.I live in central Florida.Give me a PM,thanks.
Good idea! At last these guys from that article do know what they are talking about the snakeheads, not these fools who created a video "Fishzilla". I believe blackchin tilapia lives in Tampa Bay (eastern shore) so i can go fishing there.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
MN_Rebel;2944536; said:
Good idea! At last these guys from that article do know what they are talking about the snakeheads, not these fools who created a video "Fishzilla". I believe blackchin tilapia lives in Tampa Bay (eastern shore) so i can go fishing there.

If you go to Glades outskirts near S.Florida stay away from the lakes go to canals like this which feed the lakes.
Any canal that looks like this will be chuck loaded with cichlids and if summer lots peacock bass .
Hotter the better .

I caught my biggest oscars here plan to go in a month tops . Should have lots pics .As now to windy and under 80 degrees thus cichlids arent biting like they do in heat.

If your easily distracted like I am lots neat snakes to lol.

CANAL.jpg

Reactions: Covetous

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
rajzynger;2944334; said:
A lot of those species do occur in same areas. I have never caught some of tilapia species listed. Mayans are in every body of water and slowly making there way to saltwater.Midas are mostly in Miami. Black acaras or port cichlids are being seen less and less because of the mayan. Hoping your only looking to catch snakeheads for recreation, you dont want to get caught with those.

Funny I have never caught an adult Mayan. Countless 6 inch more or less size but not one adult ever.

Have seen them lol but never caught one .

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Hmm, I wont mind to own the wild Floridan oscar for my 55gal tank along with wild convicts and jewels.

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Wow thats cheap prices for nonresident license. Now i need to see if it is legal to bring fillets (especially tilapia fillets) to Minnesota. And is legal to bring fishing pole and tackle box to airport?
Where exactly did you go fishing I live north part of Florida and going to south Florida tommorrow to fish

$$mok3d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
South Florida
Hmm, I wont mind to own the wild Floridan oscar for my 55gal tank along with wild convicts and jewels.
Caught this little Jewel while catching Bluegill for bait today. If you need help while you are down here I can help with showing you some spots. Get alot of Mayans and Salvini as well as Spotted Mosquitofis in the same area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store