NGT Info Appreciated

Alexandboi

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2019
My NGT was the most difficult to get onto pellets. But what I did was feed it a worm or two every day until it got comfortable coming out and begging. Then I would soak sinking carnivore pellets in krill juice. Just enough so the pellets become a thick paste. I rolled a bit of the paste between my fingers to shape the paste into a "worm" and drop it into the tank. Initially the dat hesitated, but after a few attempts he took the worm shaped pellet. Everyday I fed him I'd make the paste less like a worm and more like a pellet. After two weeks it was eating pellets fine. And now it won't eat anything but massivore...

20201003_181947.jpg

Cichlids+Oddballs

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2022
My NGT was the most difficult to get onto pellets. But what I did was feed it a worm or two every day until it got comfortable coming out and begging. Then I would soak sinking carnivore pellets in krill juice. Just enough so the pellets become a thick paste. I rolled a bit of the paste between my fingers to shape the paste into a "worm" and drop it into the tank. Initially the dat hesitated, but after a few attempts he took the worm shaped pellet. Everyday I fed him I'd make the paste less like a worm and more like a pellet. After two weeks it was eating pellets fine. And now it won't eat anything but massivore...

View attachment 1487111

Stunning fish!

Cichlids+Oddballs

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2022
Just a quick update! I committed myself to an indo dat (presumably easier to care for) who I got from a fellow MFKer. This indo is about 4 inches and well trained on frozen market shrimp. For now I have continued the frozen shrimp and his non-dat tank mates also eat the shrimp as well as pellets. Is there any benefit to attempt to pellet train this dat? The cost of the shrimp is fairly similar to pellets, and (I don’t think) the frozen shrimp has any of the risks associated with live food. As always, any input is appreciated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store