nile monitor??

nilemonster420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
wilmington delaware
i just bought a baby nile ive done a little research, well as much as i could find witch isent a lot but i just wanted to ask people that have experince with i have 2 adult ball pythons so im not new with reptiles i have him in a 55g for now i just built a 10ft by 3ft tank and im just doin the finishing touches to it he/she is about a foot eats like a hog but im just here to try to find out more about the nile monitors. and if u have hate comments leave them at the door bc i know what im doin lol i breed my ball pythons every year so dont make smart ass comments :chillpill: i just want info ... thankyou

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
ball pythons really don't give you the experience for a nile... completely different animals..

that being said, keep him warm, with lots of swimming area. feeding should be insects and rodents. he'll grow quickly, so be ready to upgrade soon.
handle him frequently, or you will end up with a 6 or 7 foot lizard with giant teeth that is hyper aggressive. not a good thing.

nilemonster420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
wilmington delaware
i said the things about the pythons just to tell ppl i know how to take care of reptiles ik i feed him alot crickets everyday fuzzys every week and every once in a wile a hard boiled egg or raw egg i handle him evey day bc i want a tame lizard so when i go to petshops ill be able to walk him, and i wanted to know how fast do niles grow

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Insted of handling your lizard everyday and in the process making him hate you to bits, why not insted let the lizard get used to you, learn that you bring in food and clean waste, and so learning to associate you with positive feelings? Force yourself in a monitor is not the way to tame him. Also they are only tamable to a certain degree, they cernatly arent trustworty! Once he is "tame" I higly encorage you to start spot training him, it will become handy once he is full grown. One last thing: your not supose to purchase a monitor just to show him off when you go to a pet store, monitors arent novelty items to show of, they are wild animals that require a huge amount of care, commitement and reserch to be kept properly and I dont think you are half prepared for a ackie, let alone one of the most demanding and dangerous species out there...you breed ball pythons? Well any of us could acomplish such a "feat", actually there are excess of this snakes and normals are hard to ge rid of...

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
dont take a nile to a pet shop. They could seriously injure or kill other people pets, like small dog breeds. And do you really want to get in between an adult nile and what it sees as food ex: rabbits, hamsters, small birds of which all are found in most pet stores.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
aidenb;4655890; said:
dont take a nile to a pet shop. They could seriously injure or kill other people pets, like small dog breeds. And do you really want to get in between an adult nile and what it sees as food ex: rabbits, hamsters, small birds of which all are found in most pet stores.
Im thinking more of the lizard freaking out, scraching, biting, tail lashing and pooping everything in its way as it tries to escape and hateing every person for ever more if it survives the endeavor.

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
yes, but if it does eventually calm down, it would still be unsafe for them and other people there to take an adult nile to a pet shop

PredatoryFishRocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Nonyas
a 55 will work out for a year.. why didn't you get a savannah monitor easier to take care of. also less aggressive...Nile monitor are one of the larger Way more aggressive species. I personally like Savannah's more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store