Nile puffer ill/sick????

Jason98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
Sheffield, UK
20190130_220232.jpg 20190130_220301.jpg Hi everyone,
Iv got a baby nile puffer around 2inch I had him in a little 2ft tank as he was very small when I got him, in thisbtank he was very active always coming to the tank and always aggressive for food. I then made some tank space to put him in something bigger, a 3ftx18inchx18inch. The minute he went in that tank he was always hiding and didn't seem active any more, I thought this was just him being natural and in "hunting mode". He doesn't seem very aggressive when feeding him now and just front seem bothered about it. He's starting to look skinny and weird, I don't know of this is the way they look as I have a puffer fish book and the pictures they have of them are very similar to how mine is now? I'm now questioning of he has an internal parasite and that's why he's looking the way he is. I have done a load of research on the puffer before I got him and iv played everything by the book but something just doesn't seem right. Iv put him in a breeder box just to see him eat as I never do anymore. Could anyone help me out and give some advise.
Thanks
Jason

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
These come in with IP's a lot of the time. That thing is on the brink of death. Try earthworms if you get a little weight on him then treat imo. It's almost too emaciated to treat at this point to me.

I can't tell is its mouth constantly open (beak too long)? I'll be surprised if these little one makes it, but good luck.

Hopefully others will chime in

Reactions: jtanw and Fat Homer

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Oh dang. Poor puffer. Would add some levamisole and feed metronidazole. See what fat homer has to say.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If your puffer really is as thin as whats shown in the photo, im worried it maybe beyond the point of bouncing back...

Anyway, as P PYRU said, more than likey your puffer has a very bad case of IP’s (internal parasites) and since you said your puffer is no longer eating, really your only option is to dose the meds directly into the water and pray that some how it gets into your puffers system to help clear put some of the IP’s... Which sadly as this point, may not happen due to how far gone your puffer is...

If however your puffer is still eating (even if it is very little food), i would try option 2 and soak your puffers food in some IP medicine dilluted in some tank water to try and start to clear out your puffers system...

I must warn you though, option 2 could still potentially kill your puffer, since if the meds take effect and kill the IP’s but your puffer cant pass them through his system it can cause just as much havok inside or your puffer may just be too weak to handle the meds running through its system causing him extra stress...

So my main advise would be try and get an actual picture of your puffer and lets go from there...

P.S. i’m going to take it that you tested your tanks water parameters??? If so, please also list those readings here incase its something other than IP’s causing problems...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Okay, now that its early evening and re-read your post i realize the puffer pictured is actually your puffer (my bad before)...

Eitherway, what i said still applies in the sense he’s probably too far gone to do anything much other than dose some meds and hope for the best...

If you have other fish in the tanks your puffer has been in, i’d also watch out for them potentially getting IP’s if they acidentally ate any of the poo by accident or otherwise...

The water parameter information would still be useful to help rule out other potential problems, epecially if you ever want to get another puffer ;)

Final thought; what is the book you are basing info on for puffers? Coz i dont think i’ve ever come across one using such an anemic looking puffer as a refence photo...

Reactions: kno4te

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Agreed with all the above. It’s too far gone but as a last resort you can mix up some metrondazinole with food and use a thing long pipette to force feed it some meds and nutrition. That’s probably all that could be done.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I agree force feeding is usually recommended as a final option for puffers who arent eating, but in this case i’d be worried about trying to handle him and sticking anything down its throat with the possible exception for foods that have been blended really well prior to feeding (and even then only very small doses of food to make sure it doesnt do too much damage)...

Either way, the handling part worries me most considering the state of the puffer..,

Reactions: phreeflow

Jason98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
Sheffield, UK
Sorry guys I haven't been getting notified about your messages. The night I posted this thread I did go a head an treat some food with IPs, he has pecked at it so hopefully some has got in him. I have checked my water and everything is spot on but I can take some reading gains for you guys. This is the book I have and the picture I refered to. I know my puffer has got worse and doesn't look much like the pic but he did and that's why I thought everything was ok. Thanks for all your help guys

20190201_205902.jpg 20190201_205913.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store