NITRATE LEVELS FOR RAYS

rollerboy244

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
I keep all my tanks at a nitrate level reading which tests between at most between 5-10 ppm or mg/L---if i can rely on these tests,i've used hagens and aquarium pharmaceticals chemical drop style tests--i haven't gone even to 10 ppm.What levels do you consider the high end for freshwater rays in your experiences--so far i've relied on low stocking levels of smaller fish with good filtration-biological and mechanical,minimal chemical (10 turns an hour of total filtration per tank) and water changes of 20-30% every two weeks.
Darren

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
piranha45 said:
I've heard keeping nitrates under 20 ppm is critical for rays.

yes.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Ross' book said that rays doesn not seem to be bothered with nitrate levels of up tp 40 ppm ( dont quote me, have to check the book again). but he also stated that different species have different tolerance levels too.

I personally keep my rays at under 20ppm. Peacok is right, 20 is a safe number to stick with .. the lower the better of course. Most important though, is doing frequent water changes. The only effective nitrate remover is water changes. If youre vigilant with that then you wont have to deal with surprises often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store