Nitrate problems

mzhantsche

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
A, A
I now have over 150 pieces of bamboo in my new sump. If nitrates dont start going down in a few weeks I will add a bunch of pothos. Thanks for the tip on the plants.

I do not stir the sand. But i have gotten to the realization that the sand must be cleaned. So i will start cleaning the sand with a syphin when i do water changes.

It had been a almost 4 months since i had cleaned out my canisters. So last week i cleaned out my fx5. This week i will clean out my fulval 404.

Tap water nitrate are 10ppm. This really bumbs me out. I want to set up a constant drip system from my tap. Is their any point in doing this with nitrate at 10ppm from the tap?

I do 50% water changes once a week. I dont have the time to do two water changes a week. Thats why im trying for every other option.

I use the API nitrate test kit. I kept my old one under my tank and was told that if i kept the test in high temp. that it would give inaccurate reading. So i bought a new kit and got slightly lower results but still way too high.

I have about an inch and a half of sand in the tank. So im going to try and bring the sand down to 1/2 inch. Im thinking the sand is whats spiking the nitrate so high. Im just scared i wont get the problem fixed in enough time before the ray dies.

I really want to thank everyone for giving advice. Im the only one in my area that i know of that keeps large fish. This nitrate issue has been waying heavy on my mind for a long time now. No one else cares. Its nice to have people who are taking the time to help me out. My fish and I thank you. Ill update in a week of my nitrate progress. Hopefully the new plant sump helps.

mzhantsche

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
A, A
I picked up an extra-long gravel vacuum tonight. When i did my water change i vacuumed the hell out of the sand. I was kicking up tons of sulfur bubbles. I have read on one of the stickys about waste being trapped in the sand and creating sulfur bubbles. I know they were because when i vacuumed the bubbles out of the sand, the bucket i emptied them into smelled like rotten eggs. I vacuumed 70gal by hand.

So far my fish all look fine. I used prime when i do my water changes so i hope that will help. Ill probably do another water change in two days (50gal).

I have to part with the sand. I scooped about 5 pound out tonight. When i do my next WC ill scoop a bunch more out. Ill just keep taking it out till my nitrates go down.

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
I tried pothos once, but the fish kept eating the roots, I was thinking it would grow fast but it didn't. I also stopped vaccuming the sand and just let nature run it's course, the beneficial bacteria will take care of it and I also add some stuff to break it down. It's next to impossible to keep up with the pooping pleco machine.

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
dont worry about the sulfur gas, if it's bubbling then it just going to the surface and escaping into the atmosphere, that rotten egg smell is only a fraction of what it takes for sulfur to be lethal to you or your fish.

i know you're taking your sand out but you ever thought of creating a deep sand bed? with about 3+ inches of sand the bottom layer become anaerobic and it will break down nitrates into nitrogen gas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store