No drill sump?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Is it possible?

Saw a 220 for sale at greentree pet store but it's not drilled. Non of my tank use sumps as iv never had a big enough tank and I also know very little about them.

My only thought was to use a 2 pumps instead of 1. One to get water into sump and one to get it out but to me it seems like a disaster waiting to happen if ur return pump went out and output just kept pumping.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Is it possible?

Saw a 220 for sale at greentree pet store but it's not drilled. Non of my tank use sumps as iv never had a big enough tank and I also know very little about them.

My only thought was to use a 2 pumps instead of 1. One to get water into sump and one to get it out but to me it seems like a disaster waiting to happen if ur return pump went out and output just kept pumping.
In my experience overflow boxes don't work well. They tend to lose siphon. You could rig-up a pump-drain, but you'll have to be careful... a very small pump will keep the siphon going no problem.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
In my experience overflow boxes don't work well. They tend to lose siphon. You could rig-up a pump-drain, but you'll have to be careful... a very small pump will keep the siphon going no problem.

So basically just have an overflow and a pump pumping the water up and out down to the sump? Is there anyway to do it without having to pump water out just incase the return pump broke water would still be being pumped out of the tank

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have always gone the pump in sump-overflow route.I have occasional bouts of syphon loss but that only seems happen with the newer types that have the checkvalve on them and it is usually not too much effort to re start them.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Drill is best option. Second best is high quality overflow. I spent many hours researching and lifereef overflows stood out to everyone. I did not pull the trigger because of cost. I plan on upgrading my 180g tank in a year or so and don't see the point in spending $400-500 to change to a sump.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
If you decide to go with the sump, AND, you plan to for the overflow pipes, you may want to consider just adding a weir for "internal overflow box". I realize it takes up some space in the tank, but I say it eliminates any siphon issues you could have.

My only suggestion is just to make sure the teethe on the weir is low enough. Aside from that, I've not had any concerns about restarting siphons.

Reactions: pacu mom

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Find out if the tank is tempered or not. If it's not then you can pick up a diamond hole saw for 10 or 15 bucks online. Drill that puppy! It's really simple to do. I drill all my own tanks. Watch some tutorial videos and practice on a scrap of glass and go for it.
After you do it you will wonder what the fuss is about.
But make sure it is NOT TEMPERED !!!!!!

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Find out if the tank is tempered or not. If it's not then you can pick up a diamond hole saw for 10 or 15 bucks online. Drill that puppy! It's really simple to do. I drill all my own tanks. Watch some tutorial videos and practice on a scrap of glass and go for it.
After you do it you will wonder what the fuss is about.
But make sure it is NOT TEMPERED !!!!!!
I have attempted to drill tempered.... it does not end well... thought it was float glass but I was wrong. What I did learn from this was not to drill tanks at 2:30 in the morning after 12 beers

Reactions: xDestro
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store