No Two Wild Oscars alike!!!

Toopato

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2008
Washington
well im sure others have been bred not to long ago i saw to wild oscars at my lsf

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
no two oscars look alike, whether they be wild or aquarium bred. All oscars (even wild ones) have only one spot on the tail. its an "eye spot", evolved to deter predators while the O has its head in nooks and crevices looking for dinner.

wild Os aren't as colorful, though. they lack the red, and are mostly black, brown, and olive.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
ultamitattitude;1878651; said:
is there such a thing as an angel oscar
you're probably thinking of the "Veil Tailed Oscar".

way to revive a 3 year old thread, too!

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
to think all captive oscars came from a single pair makes you a very simple person

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
reverse;1878945; said:
to think all captive oscars came from a single pair makes you a very simple person

yeah, were did these "cleaner oscars" come from, anyway?

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
reverse;1878945; said:
I don't buy this fish farmer story but a single pair is possible. Slightly off topic but there is a breed of white Dobermans that are all decendent from a single female. The breed is messed up and banned in a lot of places, but has been around for 30-35 years.

That "single" eye spot put the ocellatus in Astronotus ocellatus

supaoat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2007
USA
I love Oscars cuz they are awesome!!!

fourty2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
In a house
ChickenTeeth;151186; said:
No, No I meant regular Oscars. Urs are hybrid reds. Even, so u notice only 1 spot on the tail!!! Cuz the original regular pair had only 1 spot on the tail!!! Wild ones have many spots!!!

so that means my wild coloured oscars must have made their way from America to great Britain right :screwy:? as my wild coloured oscars only have one spot on their tails :grinno:...

or could it be that the spots on their tails are eye spots to confuse potential predators......would not really work if they had a couple of eye spots on the tail unless they want to give the effect of a mutant nuclear holocaust oscar or like the fish in the Simpsons :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store