NO3 out of control

jpietruk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
illinois
hello i just got a water test kit and found my results to be ammona 0 no2 0 but no3 more then 300 PPM did a 50 percent water change test again still more then 300 ppm waited 24 hours did a 25 percent water change still more then 300PPM idk what to do

tank info is 120 gallon 5ft x 18in x24in
filter info is
3 HOBS 2 are aqua tech 30-60 1 is mirenland emperor pro bio wheel 280
5 sponge 4 small rated for 10 gallon each 1 huge rated for 40 gallon
3 canister 1 fluval 406 1 fluval 306 1 FX5
1 overflow sump 11 gallon wet/dry made by PRO CLEAR AQADUT SYSTEMS

substrate is pool filter sand and it does have many live plants

i normally do a 15 gallon water change 2 times a week cleaning the hob filters and sump tank at that time and claning the canisters 1 time each week

test kit was $40 its made by API called master fresh water test kit

will post tank pics if needed

also i run purigen in my canisters also have a 9 watt UV steralizer

tank is been setup running for less then 1 year maybe 7 mounths

yoc_town_mfk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
Antioch ca
So from what I'm geting ur cleaning ur filters way to much hob should be weekly but ur canisters should be cleaned like once a month and never do all three at once

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
What fish do you have in there? Cleaning the filters biweekly isnt going to solve your problem. Sounds like you need to up your waterchanges. 15 gallons twice a week sounds like it isnt cutting it. Try 50% twice a week to start and see how it effects your nitrates.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Well n03 can leach from filters if there is uneaten food in it, I had this happen on a smaller scale and it turned out to be pieces of talapia under the decor, something in ur tank is leaching n03 or your not shaking your nitrate bottles enough. 1 minute each. Try testing again

Clean filters out, remove all decor and clean.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

jpietruk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
illinois
What fish do you have in there? Cleaning the filters biweekly isnt going to solve your problem. Sounds like you need to up your waterchanges. 15 gallons twice a week sounds like it isnt cutting it. Try 50% twice a week to start and see how it effects your nitrates.

the problem i have with doing large water changes that offten is i use 5 gallon buckts its a ton of work should i just use a garden hose rite from the tapwater?? i useually let the 5 gallon buckets sit for a few days and add declorinator

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
the problem i have with doing large water changes that offten is i use 5 gallon buckts its a ton of work should i just use a garden hose rite from the tapwater?? i useually let the 5 gallon buckets sit for a few days and add declorinator
Yes that's what I do! Dose with prime first, try and match temp to tank water.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

jpietruk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
illinois

its way overstocked maybe i have 1 red oscar 1 year old 1 smaller oscar maybe 5 mounth old a bunch of convict cichlids smaller the parents breed so i gave them away but keeped many fry also have 2 plecos and 4 cory cats also have 1 frontoza it does not grow much maybe 3-4 inch long

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
1. Up wc to 50% 2x week until problem is remedied then cut back to 1 50-80% per week. Also test your tap water to ensure it isn't the problem.
2. How did you manage to fit so many filters on one tank?

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
I think your test kit is wrong or something. My API test kit only goes up to 160 ppm for nitrates. I'd try doing another test. There's just no way your nitrates can be that high with that much filtration and the bi weekly water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I think your test kit is wrong or something. My API test kit only goes up to 160 ppm for nitrates. I'd try doing another test. There's just no way your nitrates can be that high with that much filtration and the bi weekly water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that...

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store