North Texas Tiger Muskie Stocking

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
I have a pond in Granbury, TX that's about 25 feet deep. I know full well what will happen to the fish already in there if I stock tiger muskie. The problem is, I can't find any companies that do it in Texas and I'm not sure if they will even survive the heat in Texas. I feel like they would be able to live in this pond because it's really deep. One time I dove down to about 10 feet in the heat of summer and it was pretty cold. Also, the visibility isn't great (old frack tank) so I don't know how well they would do in there. Is it possible to make the water clear using some kind of chemical? I know fish can survive in it because we have been putting fish in there for a while now and there's a decent largemouth population. We just got a good forage base stocked, although we might want some more if we get tigers!
Here's what it looks like when it's really full after a huge rain - murky and dock is not accessible. It's probably 30 feet deep in this pic.IMG_0932.JPG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tiger muskie could live in there with supplemental feedings (often).
Texas temps are ok for them.
Keep in mind if you add tiger muskie you aren't going to have many other fish under 15 inches or so left.

I would stock lake chubs, and other forage species (yellow perch,bullheads,tilapia,greensunfish, gymnogeophagus brasilinsus, topminnows,crayfish,river shrimp and regular intervals of giant prawns).

Is there a reason you chose tiger muskies over regular muskie or chain pickerel?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Regular muskie do just fine in south Florida reservoirs, where they snack on cichlids.

Odd hearing a 36 inch fish called "small", there's a guy who keeps a 41 inch one in a pond.

Personally it isn't going to be much of a fishing pond unless you put in bags of fish food daily, are you prepared to pay thousands of dollars a year on HIGH PROTEIN fish pellets?

If so then go for it, just keep in mind muskie can quickly learn to be wary of lures, so bring your A game.

Have you also considered redfish? A much easier to manage fish.

Other possibilities include:
Sharelunker largemouth
Walleye
Flounders
Blue catfish
Hybrid striper
Yellow perch
Red mahsheer
Tarpon (if temps remain above 55 f in winter)

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
The muskie will eat pellets? Didn't know that. Now I'm stuck between redfish and muskie. Where can I acquire redfish in Texas?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The muskie will eat pellets? Didn't know that. Now I'm stuck between redfish and muskie. Where can I acquire redfish in Texas?
They are stocked in some north Texas lakes, so I assume some of the hatcheries might be able to get you some

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store