Nosferatu steindachneri

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Great shots,
Nosferatu is perhaps one of my favorite Genera of North American Cichlids.
I have kept the Media Luna, but not long enough,

I believe they would be worth keeping just for their temporary spawning colors alone.
The most successful for me have been Nosferatu bartoni,
again, their spawning colors are worth any amount of effort

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
I know guys who caught them, saying they are sparse in the wild and described them as big and ugly brown fish, personally I like the big heads on them...not bad for a herichthys type..

Reactions: Cichlidgeek

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
duanes duanes
I am currently raising/killing a group of Media Luna Labridens... had a group of 8, now down to 6 and seem to be declining.
They have developed this white mouth "fungus". I'm not sure what it is or what to do about it.

I have run 2 treatments of Nitrofurazone and Epsom salt... to no avail.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I also had trouble with the "media luna",
I believe my water every other change schedule was not good enough, and I believe my current probably wasn't strong enough. There is also the thought , that like haitiensus, each may need to be given a separate tank, or compartment to grow out in, or they stress each other out, into a disease state.
In the videos from nature I've seen, the current of the area seems very strong, like a wall of moving water, so it must be like being in a constant 100% water change.
My theory may be all wet, could be other things like a narrow water temp range or some other variable.
All other Labridens type species worked well, so quite a disappointment.
If I had a chance with steindachneri, I believe I could spend 5 years with only them (like Newworld alluded to, I never met a big brown ugly cichlid I wasn't fascinated by). I'd also like another shot at "media luna". but that aint gonna happen either.

Last edited:

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
I also had trouble with the "media luna",
I believe my water every other change schedule was not good enough, and I believe my current probably wasn't strong enough. There is also the thought , that like haitiensus, each may need to be given a separate tank, or compartment to grow out in, or they stress each other out, into a disease state.
In the videos from nature I've seen, the current of the area seems very strong, like a wall of moving water, so it must be like being in a constant 100% water change.
My theory may be all wet, could be other things like a narrow water temp range or some other variable.
All other Labridens type species worked well, so quite a disappointment.
If I had a chance with steindachneri, I believe I could spend 5 years with only them (like Newworld alluded to, I never met a big brown ugly cichlid I wasn't fascinated by). I'd also like another shot at "media luna". but that aint gonna happen either.
How come ? They are available right now. You should grab some up !!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Because I now live in Panama, shipping fish thru customs is a near impossibility.
So I now only keep wild caught Panamanian species, either I, or friends catch, and will need to be content with that.
There are a number of them on my list.

• Love
Reactions: Justin Holland

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
Because I now live in Panama, shipping fish thru customs is a near impossibility.
So I now only keep wild caught Panamanian species, either I, or friends catch, and will need to be content with that.
There are a number of them on my list.
Well lmao... good point. Hahahahaha.

Any Umbee near you ? I'd love to see some Holotype Umbee

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I have heard they are here, but never found any evidence as of yet.
Lake Gatun would seem to be a prime area, but it has been taken over by invasive Cichla, as would Lake Bayone be a likely spot, its on the edge of the Darien.
But because my only tank so far, is 180 gallons, it is IMO, way too small for Umbis, so I've been concentrating on smaller species ( it houses a dozen Andinoacara coerleopunctatus now, caught for me by a friend near San Miguel) , I believe the largest species I could comfortable keep in this tank (and it might be pushing the space), is Isthmoheros tuyrensis, along with Geophagus crassillabris, and Darienheros calebrensis.
The Andinoacara below
fullsizeoutput_16d0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_167f.jpeg

Reactions: Justin Holland

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
I have heard they are here, but never found any evidence as of yet.
Lake Gatun would seem to be a prime area, but it has been taken over by invasive Cichla, as would Lake Bayone be a likely spot, its on the edge of the Darien.
But because my only tank so far, is 180 gallons, it is IMO, way too small for Umbis, so I've been concentrating on smaller species ( it houses a dozen Andinoacara coerleopunctatus now, caught for me by a friend near San Miguel) , I believe the largest species I could comfortable keep in this tank (and it might be pushing the space), is Isthmoheros tuyrensis, along with Geophagus crassillabris, and Darienheros calebrensis.
The Andinoacara below
View attachment 1385200
View attachment 1385201
Calobrensis would be a sight !!!

They are available here, but way too rich for my taste

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store