Novice piranha keeper please help

Aquaman07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2019
Guys, I bought this guy last November.
I have no one in my immediate vicinity who has experience with actual piranha.
So, I'd just like to ask those who are here if my red belly looks healthy.
I feed him northfin pellets, prawn, ladyfish and anchovies along with hikari carnivore.
Just want to make sure if he looks healthy to those who've had experience with piranhas before.

MVIMG_20191028_185123.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks healthy from the outside.

Reactions: tlindsey

Aquaman07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2019
Looks healthy from the outside.
Thanks for the reply kno4te kno4te , the reason I was cross checking was because his head isn't as rounded as those others ive seen with others and also because the stomach is rounded rather than flat-ish as so for many rbps, just wanted to know if that was because he was still growing.. PS: hes super active (for an rbp) and normal really.

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
the reason for it having a rounded belly is bec it's a female pygo. males look better as far a body structure and proportioning. the bull dog look is more prominent with caribas, ternetzis and pirayas...im talking about the head shape/bone structure. as far as good diet you're doing well. health wise it looks ok but colors are a bit dull. maybe it's your water parameters. try soaking vita chem to her food and add it to your aquarium once a week.

Reactions: dr exum

lm26sk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2019
Add shrimp to diet , colors will pop up..
Stressed piranha will loose its colors as well so just keep her happy , change water frequently and constant temp.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Good job on the Pellets! That’s mainly why I got away from them, having to feed frozen....

Nice fish, get yourself a 75g and you should be good!

greg c

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2014
nj
He looks healthy to me, I feed my caribe Omega one large cichlid pellets super color sinking and cobalt Ultra pellet predator and his colors are still nice at 11 inches, I think the Omega one pellets are the trick for red, orange and yellow colors, here he is

Last edited:

Phish Bob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2019
Guys, I bought this guy last November.
I have no one in my immediate vicinity who has experience with actual piranha.
So, I'd just like to ask those who are here if my red belly looks healthy.
I feed him northfin pellets, prawn, ladyfish and anchovies along with hikari carnivore.
Just want to make sure if he looks healthy to those who've had experience with piranhas before.

View attachment 1393392
Hello Aquaman! He looks great! Still young. He’ll fill out. Hey I’m new to the Piranha scene as well. I have 5 Caribes I purchased last Summer. They’re doing pretty good. Hopefully we can swap some info. Thx

Phish Bob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2019
He looks healthy to me, I feed my caribe Omega one large cichlid pellets super color sinking and cobalt Ultra pellet predator and his colors are still nice at 11 inches, I think the Omega one pellets are the trick for red, orange and yellow colors, here he is
Hi Greg! Hey do you feed your Caribes any animals? Frozen/Thawed mice etc?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store