NTT regurgitating prawn?

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Despite my Silver Tigerfish thriving in my 180G together with my Polys I've had bad luck with 2 NTT's. I bought two 6" NTT from my local store a couple of months ago whilst I set the tank up-the Store owner kindly held them for me as they're hard to come by my way.

The owner told me they only ate raw prawn but were good eaters. I introduced them 3 weeks ago. They immediately hid under the driftwood-no big deal as I know what Dats can be like-and I never saw them out and about. They never fed either. I don't feed raw prawn and only Tilapia and Massivore.

A week ago I sat and watched the NTT's and noticed them scratching on and under the driftwood. They had sunken bellies and increased breathing (the belly was sunken on one a bit when I got them but just like many fish from stores I thought just needed fattening up).

Suspecting flukes or similar I got them both in a quarantine tank and treated with Prazipro. By now they were really scratching and gasping at the surface. One went downhill very quick-changed colour constantly, became lethargic, got disequilibrium and for want of a better word just rotted away and died.

I've resigned myself to the remaining one following it. It often is just laying on its side, scratching from time to time and I think its dead but its still breathing. Bizarrely I came home today to see it more upright and more stable with better equilibrium. Just a glimmer of hope and doesn't seem to be going the way the first one went just yet

What was odd was finding 2 whole prawns on the bottom of the tank in the corner (no substrate). Like I said I never feed prawn. When I did a WC the prawns disintegrated up the tubing and broke into pieces in the bucket (the prawn were brown in colour)

Could I guess a 'bad' prawn have caused this problem and has anyone come across Dats regurgitating food this long after feeding (by my reckoning the prawns were sat whole in its gut for around at least 3 weeks or more)?

Would appreciate any thoughts please

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Though I won't even attempt to explain the presence of the prawn I can attest that the behavior displayed is pretty common in thinbar dats.They already must be loaded with parasites and flukes when they are shipped in but there seems to be something that triggers the rapid breathing once they have been brought home from the shop as they usually do not display that beforehand.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Though I won't even attempt to explain the presence of the prawn I can attest that the behavior displayed is pretty common in thinbar dats.They already must be loaded with parasites and flukes when they are shipped in but there seems to be something that triggers the rapid breathing once they have been brought home from the shop as they usually do not display that beforehand.
I agree-I didn't notice it when I bought them.
IF I ever get another NTT is having the Prazipro treatment beforehand that much I do know

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I agree-I didn't notice it when I bought them.
IF I ever get another NTT is having the Prazipro treatment beforehand that much I do know
Yep,I've been down that road more than once.I have treated them with rounds of Coppersafe as well as Prazi only to have them seemingly do well for the next few months and then eventually die.My last one died this past spring after reaching about six inches.
The NTT are the second most beautiful of the dats,after the ST but I have pretty much sworn them off at this point.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Yep,I've been down that road more than once.I have treated them with rounds of Coppersafe as well as Prazi only to have them seemingly do well for the next few months and then eventually die.My last one died this past spring after reaching about six inches.
The NTT are the second most beautiful of the dats,after the ST but I have pretty much sworn them off at this point.
Its frustrating as I've kept 2 in the past and got them to 10-12" without problems

I wonder if theres different strains of NTT. I've seen some amazing looking ones which are really light cream/gold coloured with thicker bars and others (like I had) which are a darker base with thinner bars

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Its frustrating as I've kept 2 in the past and got them to 10-12" without problems
You've had better success than I have as I've never gotten one to that size.They really become impressive looking once they reach that length.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
You've had better success than I have as I've never gotten one to that size.They really become impressive looking once they reach that length.

The ones I had were more like the ones on the right-a 'dirtier' base to them and bars not quite as broad

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like the way the stripes seem to become very thin and almost fade away on large old thinbars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store