October 2012 trivia thread

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Do you know how long it’s been since I last ran one of these trivia contests? Of course anyone can look back to see that April was the last time. I know these things are sporadic and often absent from this dedicated trivia section for many months at a time. While I do think of them often, I can’t get there from here as often as I’d like.

My wife told me the last installment was too hard. I’m sorry if that turned some viewers away from the game. Ryan, the last winner, just had all the right answers to all the questions – as if the contest were written with his interests in mind.

It occurred to me that I possess a seemingly endless vault of photos that we can have a little fun with. I’m talking about fish photos smarty!
Recently I took some additional photographs with this contest in mind. We are concentrating on the fishes’ tails this round. Specifically, the identification of fish from photographs of their back ends.
What an amazing array of rudder units that have evolved on each fish.

Please take a look at these twenty fish tails and see how many you may recognize well enough to identify the fish to which they belong. I am happy to receive simply the genus or common name of each fish as a correct answer. You may include species names if you like - I will not count corrent or incorrect species names for or against your total score.

The contest winner will receive $ 50.00 of free TUIC fish with no expiration for cashing in his/her rewards.
Moderators are invited to participate as well. If you've already won a contest in the 2012, please do participate as you like - but I'd like to give new winners the chance to get free fish.

As practiced in previous trivia contests, please do not post your answers directly on this thread. You don’t want to give away your correct answers to other participants!

Please either email me directly at bigguapote1@verizon.net or send me a private message with your answers.

I will close the window for responses on Tuesday the 16th at 3 AM EST. That’s midnight for the left coasters living in PST.

Of course anyone is free to please share comments (but not answers) in subsequent posts.

I will post the winner’s response sometime on Wednesday the 18th.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

t7.jpg

t8.jpg

t9.jpg

t10.jpg

t11.jpg

t12.jpg

t13.jpg

t14.jpg

t15.jpg

t16.jpg

t17.jpg

t18.jpg

t19.jpg

t20.jpg

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

t7.jpg

t8.jpg

t9.jpg

t10.jpg

t11.jpg

t12.jpg

t13.jpg

t14.jpg

t15.jpg

t16.jpg

t17.jpg

t18.jpg

t19.jpg

t20.jpg

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Great contest! It's amazing how some of them make you immediately think, "Oh, it's X!" and then after you stare at it for a while, you realize it may also be Y or Z.

Thanks to the Heroina from the April trivia contest I now have fry coming out of my ears, and thus no tank space. But I'll be playing along at home to see how close I get with this one.

Good luck, everybody!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
ED. NOTE:
I've tried to post this reply 4 times today over the past several hours but the site freezes up repeatedly when I get to the linking of photos. Retyping everything a couple times became VERY time consuming :(
I finally starting copying and pasting this text on another document to try and upload at a later time.
Sorry for delay, but I think we’ve got it now.

It's time to share who knows their tails the best.

Remember species names did not count to or from total correct answers. The correct genus or common name was sufficient here.

There were quite a few entries that ventured to go the whole 20 guesses. The winner of this tails for trivia contest correctly identified 17 of the 20 tails!
Awesome work and congratulations to Joe!
Here are his answers:

1. Salminus Maxillosus
2. Uaru Fernandezyepzi
3. Chuco Micropthalmus
4. Heros sp. Rotkeil - actually H. efasciatus 'Tapajos'
5. Cichlasoma Festae male
6. Astronontus cf Orbicularis 'bumble bee oscar'
7. Lates calcarifer - sorry, this is a LMB, large mouth bass, Micropterus salmoides
8. Parachromis Dovii
9. Red Texas Cichlid - sorry, this is a xanthic/gold managuense
10. Parachromis Managuense
11. Serrasalmus Spilopleura
12. Piaractus Brachypomus 'albino'
13. Hypancistrus Zebra L046
14. Crenicichla Atabapo I - actually Cr. 'cobra' or 'Tapajos'
15. Hampala Dispar
16. Leiarius Marmoratus - actually L. pictus
17. Liosomodora Oncinus
18. Rocio Octofasciata - sorry, this is an umbie, Caquetaia umbrifera
19. Krobia Xinguensis
20. Geophagus Winemilleri

Honorable mention to Adam. He was the first to submit his answers - about an hour after I posted the tail photos. I admire that spirit!

Also worthy of mention is that Cole was the only one to correctly identify the 7th photo down as a large mouth bass. I'm thinking he's a fisherman too. He emailed, and I quote:
"I'm also going to go on a limb and say number 7 is a largemouth bass"

Below I will try (for the 3rd time...) to repost the tail photos along with the rest of the fish so that anyone interested in viewing the whole enchilada may do so.
Some of the photos of tails were just that - I took pictures for this contest and specifically focused on the fishes' tails. Other tail photos were cropped from previous photos I've taken.

1. t1.jpg

maxil3.jpg

2. t2.jpg

fern2.jpg

3. t3.jpg

microp.jpg

4. t4.jpg

efas.tap.jpg

5. t5.jpg

fest4.jpg

6. t6.jpg

orbic3.jpg

7. t7.jpg

LARGEMOUTH%20BASS[1].jpg

8. t8.jpg

dov.arenal1.jpg

9. t9.jpg

manag.gold.jpg

10. t10.jpg

manag4.jpg

11. t11.jpg

spilo.jpg

12. t12.jpg

brachy.alb.jpg

13. t13.jpg

zebrapleco2.jpg

14. t14.jpg

cobra.jpg

15. t15.jpg

dispar1.jpg

16. t16.jpg

pictus.jpg

17. t17.jpg

oncinus2.jpg

18. t18.jpg

View attachment 838802

19. t19.jpg

krobpr.jpg

20. t20.jpg

wine1.jpg

So did you enjoy playing along or seeing this kind of trivia thread?
I have many more photos and fish to take photos of. I'd be happy to do this again next time around.

t1.jpg

maxil3.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

t7.jpg

t8.jpg

t9.jpg

t10.jpg

t11.jpg

t12.jpg

t13.jpg

t14.jpg

t15.jpg

t16.jpg

t17.jpg

t18.jpg

t19.jpg

t20.jpg

fern2.jpg

microp.jpg

efas.tap.jpg

fest4.jpg

orbic3.jpg

LARGEMOUTH%20BASS[1].jpg

dov.arenal1.jpg

manag.gold.jpg

manag4.jpg

spilo.jpg

brachy.alb.jpg

zebrapleco2.jpg

cobra.jpg

dispar1.jpg

pictus.jpg

oncinus2.jpg

krobpr.jpg

wine1.jpg

orinocensis1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Rhode Island
Woohoo! Thanks Jeff! Ahh I swear I really was going to guess LMB for #7 but I just didnt think it could be that :p Thanks so much for the oppertunity! It was so much fun!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
Do another round!
Sorry about that. I meant to correct that on original post when viewer pointed it out.
That's a bass in your avatar! I bet you were all over that # 7.

I would very much like to run another in November.
And I will have a calender in front of me upon posting this time.

Thanks again, jeff

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store