Odd tank dimensions

karmatic1110

Jack Dempsey
Jun 25, 2006
New Hampshire
A friend of mine gave me a really nice entire tank setup and I'd love to put some larger species of cichlid in it. The problem is that it's a 56 gallon and measures 30L 18W 24H. If it were shorter and a bit longer I think it would be perfect but am I wrong in thinking that it's far too little swimming room for something like a Jack Dempsey?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerChick5567

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Those dimensions are not suitable for a jack. They can reach 12 inches in length and although the tank is 18 inches wide the length and height of the tank doesn't give a large cichlid much room to swim. Even a similar volume 55 would be better at 48 inches in length but I still believe that this is to small for a fully grown jack Dempsey. Maybe to grow out a bit then move to a larger tank.
This is my opinion. Others will say it's fine. And I suppose you can keep a jack alive and well for a time with proper maintenance In this tank.
Those dimensions would be better suited to a pair of angels.
With some tetras and corydoras
with a nice scape it could make a lovely display.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree small for a jack, would be a good tank for some discus. With some easy to grow plants, could be very nice. Or it would be a fine tank for planty of other smaller fish, tanganyikan cichlids are awesome and many types would do well in that tank with lots of rockwork

Reactions: tlindsey

karmatic1110

Jack Dempsey
Jun 25, 2006
New Hampshire
Could the tank house a Blue Acara? They look like very interesting fish and only get about 7 inches. Another fish I am somewhat interested in is keeping a few Keyhole cichlids.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Could the tank house a Blue Acara? They look like very interesting fish and only get about 7 inches. Another fish I am somewhat interested in is keeping a few Keyhole cichlids.
Yes, I believe either of those would work out okay. I have a Pair of electric blue acara in a 40 breeder that seem to be doing very well.
I kept keyholes years ago and from what I remember they were very wary and skittish.
and I had to be very careful with their water quality as well, if it degraded at all or showed any nitrates I could notice a difference in the fish. I had to keep the water very pristine.
But to be fair, the ones I had were wild caught. I think that may have had a lot to do with it.
I have since spoke to others that have kept Keyholes without any problems. So it maybe that captive bred are more adaptable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store