Oddball clown Loaches on Divers Den

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Just letting people know that the Divers Den on Liveaquaria currently has a pack of six Loaches with an oddball Loach in the Group. I know some are into unique patterns. I wish I could get them but I'm being responsible and not getting anymore fish until I get a new tank. I already have seven.

Screenshot_20191017-190312.png

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Theres a group of three with a slight puzzle piece oddball too. I flirted with getting this group and a group of Kamaka rainbows. If I were gonna do it, I would have had to order last weekend as now I'm gonna be in and out of town the next two weeks.

I'm sure someone will eventually order so I might as well let you guys know.

I follow the Freshwater Divers Den everyday and only once in past year (prior to these two postings, have I ever seen an oddball Loach on Divers Den).

Screenshot_20191017-190321.png

Reactions: BigShawn and kno4te

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Someone night the trio but 6 pack is still on there. I'm wondering if casual shoppers think something is wrong with the oddball one.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
wow 6 for $99.99 and 3 for $69.99
It's cheaper to buy at LFS but these fish are quarantined and they have a two week guarantee. There's free shipping over a certain amount. I'll probably get all my clowns from them if I do upgrade my tank on the future.

Reactions: BigShawn

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
It's cheaper to buy at LFS but these fish are quarantined and they have a two week guarantee. There's free shipping over a certain amount. I'll probably get all my clowns from them if I do upgrade my tank on the future.
Nice.... but on my side of world... it costs about usd 1.50 for 1.... I presume shipping costs plays a major part in the price?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
For us it costs about $10 for a 3 incher.
I can break down the costs roughly but take my words with a grain of salt .
Anyway, suppose it costs them $5 to get one clown loach. That $5 was made because the fisherman had to be paid, the transporters had to be paid, deaths had to be accounted for, food had to be fed, a few various other figures that all come into play before live aquaria gets them. Now, Live aquaria has them. They will quarantine them, continue to care for them, and possibly have some of them die before they are ready to be sold. Now, the quarantining means that they must be fed and housed for a longer period of time thus taking up space other fish could have been using so they raise the price to make up some of the money that they could have made by not bothering to quarantine the fish. Since they are "Live Aquaria", they are a well known brand to fish keepers. They are the rolex to the fish world, easily recognizable and trusted to be of high quality. They raise the price because of their good brand.

Over all I'd reckon that the main factor that makes their prices rise as much as they do is their brand name followed by the quarantining procedures they have in place which also helps continue their brand name remaining in good standing. Shipping is not that much, it's been a while since I paid for shipping from them but if I remember correctly I believe it was $30? Someone could fact check me if they wanted to. Free shipping used to be at $99.99 but now it is $149.99. Unpleasant that they raised the price for free shipping but understandable as they are a business.

Personally I myself find their prices to be horrendous for clown loaches to the point of never even considering them in a passing thought for buying clown loaches and I would advise others to do the same.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I guess it depends on location in the USA as well. The the Chicago area the $10 clowns in the LFS are the tiny ones. I've seen one store that I wouldn't buy from have a bunch die off within a week (I used to visit stores several times a week when I was scoping them out).

The size the ones in this thread are about $13-15 at LFS by me. Before I trusted or tried online stores, I bought three clowns and two died within a day and a half. No warranty.

I got lucky in that my surviving one looks like she'll be a big female. She was same size as the three I ended up getting at live aquaria DD for same price as above but she's bigger than then now.

With DD , I didn't have to worry about losing money with die offs and I felt more comfortable bc they quarantine (especially the procedure used to prevent ich, it's the same used by public Aquariums). I still dewormed with general cure and levamisole and I was covered by warranty. No fish I got from them died (and they are still doing well now).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store