Oddball/Predator for 36 gallon bow front

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve been thinking about rehoming my mbunas which would leave me with an empty 36 gallon bow (except for some skunk loaches - can be moved if necessary).
Just curious what kinds of oddballs or predators could go in there for life. Ideally something that can live off of frozen or pellets and is somewhat safe with other fish.
Puffers seem to be the best option (interactive, mean, colorful), but what else would make a cool fish?
I plan on heavily planting the tank which should also help to bring the ph down a bit (right?)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although to me a 36 gal tank is only large enough to handle a fish that tops out about 3.5", "if" you are thinking predator, Belonesox belizanos might work, males top out at just < 4", but females almost 8".
There are also a number of Goby species that fit that bill, as either predators, and/or odd balls.
And I agree with Rocksor, maintaining pH is often about sufficient water changes, especially on small tanks where water quality degrades quickly creating pH crashes.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Would I have more freedom if I did brackish? Seems like ph is less of a worry that way too, considering brackish is naturally basic. I was looking at N. depressifrons. That would be nice with some mollies (fry=food). Seems like water changes in brackish are a pain though.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Maintaining pH could be easier if using an ocean type mix which included buffers to maintain salinity. (as opposed to just plain salt (NaCl) . But pH can crash in brackish as easily as fresh if water quality isn't maintained.
If i was doing brackish, I be sure and run a protein skimmer, and although salinity varies quite a bit for many brackish species, it is probably healthier to maintain a more consistant salinity. A protein skimmer can help is staving off more frequent, and expensive (ocean mix) water changes.
So some kind of device, like a refractometer, a conductivity/salinity monitor would be helpful, to match water changes with current norms.
If you've kept salt water species you probably have all those gizmos already.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’ve been thinking about rehoming my mbunas which would leave me with an empty 36 gallon bow (except for some skunk loaches - can be moved if necessary).
Just curious what kinds of oddballs or predators could go in there for life. Ideally something that can live off of frozen or pellets and is somewhat safe with other fish.
Puffers seem to be the best option (interactive, mean, colorful), but what else would make a cool fish?
I plan on heavily planting the tank which should also help to bring the ph down a bit (right?)
You could do one of the smaller types of wolf fish, they get 7-9” but are not very active, my red just lurks below the surface like an alligator most of the time

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store