Oddballs for 55 Gallon

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
A small group of Abramites hypselonotus (marbled headstanders) , a bushynose pleco, and a small school of neons (cardinals are a bit high maintenance).

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
True but they are very inactive, plus the 56 has extra width as opposed to height, giving it extra swimming room.
Mine is in a 60, he spends 95% of the time sitting in one spot, going on a patrol every once in a while. Most I’ve kept or seen tend to have a similar behavior once they pass 6 inches.
I've seen groups in much larger tanks, they are hardly inactive. I've also seen a single one in a much larger tank than the group (3K tank with bass, Asian aro, rays, giant gourami), and it did not stay in one place. It swam around slowly, but still moved around the circular aquarium.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I've seen groups in much larger tanks, they are hardly inactive. I've also seen a single one in a much larger tank than the group (3K tank with bass, Asian aro, rays, giant gourami), and it did not stay in one place. It swam around slowly, but still moved around the circular aquarium.
Fair enough

Reactions: Bbuckley

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I like the exodon and leaf fish recommendation. SA leaf fish are awesome. Abramites, while they don't really interest me are probably better than the banded leporinus. If you really like leporinus then Leporinus granti could be a better fit. Anostomus anostomus, is another one. Some of the smaller knives like transparent, browns, ossa, or pelicans. I don't know if people consider this an oddball, but Bettta macrostoma is a really cool fish. Focusing a tank on otocinclus is something people don't seem to do, but if you really focused on it you might breed one of the cooler ones like the orange head, zebra, or giant. For that matter Royal farlowellas are another good option.

If you want US natives hogchokers, pirate perch, sticklebacks, madtom catfish, and sculpins all should work and are a little odd. I have never kept sticklebacks, but I always thought it would be cool to watch them build their nests.

While not a fish the ultimate oddball is a Pipa pipa. You won't find anything uglier.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Thanks F FLA ! Here are the ones I would pick from everyones selectioon:

- SA Leaffish
- Exodons
- Headstanders
- Pelican Knifefish
- Mottled Sculpin
- and I love the frogs Pipa Pipa

My top 4:

- Exodons
- Pelican Knifefish
- Mottled Sculpin
- Spiny Eel

I know Pelican Knifefish can get expensive, so that is probably out of the picture. If I can get one for under 200, then that would be cool, and as of now, my first choice. But for under 200, that is doubtful. Also, how big do they get?

Exodons are super cool but seems like quite a few people have them. Nevertheless, they are predatory, and just what I want. They to are expensive, but it seems they are worth it. They are definitely an oddball, and definitely predatory.

Spiny Eels are awesome...and I considered one for the 55 in exchange for the delhezi, but they are kind of expensive. Depends on which one. I know Zig Zag Spiny Eels are cool, and relatively cheap. Plus, I could get 2-3.

Mottled Sculpins are awesome. I wanted to get some for the patio pond, but it is too small. I know they are venomous, which is a plus, and they are native! Would they need a chiller? These guys are my second choice.

edit: I am still open to anything.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I have picked some native fish.

3 Mottled Sculpin
3 Black Banded Darter
2 Shadow Bass
10-15 Flagfin Shiners

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Id love to have a tank with some rare knife fish, so many to choose from! Or maybe a school of elephant noses?? School oof small puffers would also be cool...
Dwarf puffer colony with like 25-30 would be amazing!

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I continue to love my single stripped headstander, Anostomus anostomus, and feel it is an interesting option, as these fish all full of cool antics. These in my opinion need to be kept as single fish, unless one can have a group of them. Two or three fish won't ever work. A 55gal would be good for this fish, along with other fish that can put up with it.
My fish is a bit of a jerk, and for this reason it has been moved around among various tanks. Since a few months ago I placed it in a 75gal tank with 3 Metynnis silver dollars, cories, and 2 bushynose plecos. In this configuration, it is very well behaved and I am happy. Pictures below are from a prior configuration, which also worked relatively well.

Anostomus comp.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store