Odoe Pike Care

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
I was gonna buy a odoe pike soon, You guys have any stories of experiences with them? Are they hard to keep? Are other agressive predatory fish good tank mates? Any info will be appreciated.

wolfsburgfanatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
Frederick, MD
I haven't kept them, but I've been looking into them as well (really like to have one in my lower jaw Polypterus tank one day). Maybe this will help a bit until somebody else chimes in.

seriouslyfish.com said:
Compatibility
It is usually ok with fish too large to be considered food, although it should not be combined with any aggressive species such as territorial cichlids. It can be combined successfully with Polypterus, other similarly-sized characins and barbs, large Synodontis catfish, Loricariids etc.

The fish can be maintained in groups but if more than a single African Pike is to be kept all individuals should be of a similar size as smaller fish are often harassed to death.
From: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Hepsetus&species=odoe&id=666#4

Bump for more info :cheers:

Chris006

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Brick
Odoes are very nervous but hardy. They go for live feeders, but can be turned to eat other food. Just search the Odoe and you will find more info. I got mine at 4" and now is 8". his mixed in with a Armatus Payara and 6 kinds of polypterus. Overall Very nice fish. Just be carefull when putting your hand in the tank, I've read of members getting their hands mistaken for food. LOL

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
Chris006;3883857; said:
Odoes are very nervous but hardy. They go for live feeders, but can be turned to eat other food. Just search the Odoe and you will find more info. I got mine at 4" and now is 8". his mixed in with a Armatus Payara and 6 kinds of polypterus. Overall Very nice fish. Just be carefull when putting your hand in the tank, I've read of members getting their hands mistaken for food. LOL
Thanks I think I will be geting one soon if my lfs will get one in, he had one about 1 1/2 ft for $100 2 days later it was gone. But it was very cool it looked like it could bite my hand off lol.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
odoes are pretty skittish fish... i got mine at 7inches for FREE lol. but mine went straight for fd krill. iono why, but i cant be around the tank during feeding time, i think he still isnt use to me, but yeah. no one really knows how big theyll get in a home aquarium, so a 55 should be alright until you notice a bigger tank is needed ;) good luck. and here are some pics of my odoe :D

DSC_0975.JPG

DSC_1007.JPG

DSC_1011.JPG

Reactions: HaitiCult

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
iloveoscars702;3909251; said:
odoes are pretty skittish fish... i got mine at 7inches for FREE lol. but mine went straight for fd krill. iono why, but i cant be around the tank during feeding time, i think he still isnt use to me, but yeah. no one really knows how big theyll get in a home aquarium, so a 55 should be alright until you notice a bigger tank is needed ;) good luck. and here are some pics of my odoe :D
My lfs had one that was huge for a week about 2 or 3 foot it was $99 it was gone after that.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
killdog102;3907508; said:
Would one be able to live in a 55g for life?
killdog102;3910561; said:
My lfs had one that was huge for a week about 2 or 3 foot it was $99 it was gone after that.
well now that you say that, an odoe CANT live in a 55 for life

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store