Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I awoke early today.

It wasn't on purpose. The cat swatted me with her tail and I came to life gacking up catfur. My wife has no idea how lucky she is to have cats and dogs in the house. I have alergies and we live in a menagerie!

Now fish have never caused me to sneeze one time in 45 years. They have crapped out but they never pooped on the floor. No fish ever chewed my leather belt or ate my food right off the plate in front of me.

I have stepped on a snail at night, but I never tripped over a fish in the dark.

I'd ditch those four-footed carpet scratchers in a trice, and buy a bunny that stays in his hutch. But I'd have to ditch my wife first, and in spite of any small faults, she's a whiz at housekeeping and does the dishes for me when I cook up a mess in the kitchen. Plus she's quite a looker, and knows how to dress. She can't do long division, but her checkbook always balances.

But I wish she'd throw the cats out at night!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I awoke early today.

It wasn't on purpose. The cat swatted me with her tail and I came to life gacking up catfur. My wife has no idea how lucky she is to have cats and dogs in the house. I have alergies and we live in a menagerie!

Now fish have never caused me to sneeze one time in 45 years. They have crapped out but they never pooped on the floor. No fish ever chewed my leather belt or ate my food right off the plate in front of me.

I have stepped on a snail at night, but I never tripped over a fish in the dark.

I'd ditch those four-footed carpet scratchers in a trice, and buy a bunny that stays in his hutch. But I'd have to ditch my wife first, and in spite of any small faults, she's a whiz at housekeeping and does the dishes for me when I cook up a mess in the kitchen. Plus she's quite a looker, and knows how to dress. She can't do long division, but her checkbook always balances.

But I wish she'd throw the cats out at night!
Haha
I’ve started liking cats less and less as I get older. Now they are all outside to keep the rats at bay.

Speaking of waking up early because of animals......

My boxer woke me up at 5am because he needed to go outside. Fine, I normally get up between 5:30-6 anyway.
Let the dogs out. Then I remember I have bills to put out in the box. I go through the kitchen to get shoes on and I smell something.... I swear I smell smoke! I instantly start to panic. I open the door to the breezeway and leads to the garage. I thought maybe I put the grill into the garage too soon last night after grilling and maybe it was smoking up the garage.

Nothing.

Then I think smoke rises right? I run down the basement checking baseboards, furnace, water heater, breaker box..... Nothing!
It doesn’t smell down there either.

Then I panic thinking maybe it’s coming from my daughters bedroom that right above the kitchen. So I run upstairs checking outlets, feeling the walls for heat, checked the baseboards upstairs in all rooms.... Nothing!

I run back downstairs to go to the sunroom checking all tanks and equipment, baseboards, outlets, walls.... still nothing!

I’m shaking, confused, and at a loss. The smell is only in the small walkway between the breezeway door and kitchen. I keep checking the basement because it’s the only place that makes sense for the smell to be coming from, but it doesn’t smell down there!

Then I remember I had my husband remove the battery from the smoke detector in the kitchen. I get a step stool and take the detector down to put a new battery in. Surely it will go off right away if there is smoke in the house.
I put a battery in but it’s not working when I hit the test button!
I was shaking so bad and didn’t know what to do, so I called my husband hoping he’d be awake. He answered and had to calm me down so I could explain what was going on. Turns out I had to flip the battery over *facepalm*
Detector works so I put it up and wait......
Nothing!!!!!

I finally gave up. I don’t know what I’m smelling, but he house isn’t on fire. Now I just feel like a crazy person:nilly:

Sorry for the long story :yuck: Such a bad way to start the day.

• Haha
Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I have lived next to two houses which caught fire. I am always aware, but there's a lot of BBQs . . .

I noticed my Mollies eat spirulina and algae like pigs but don't like zucchini.

The other herbivores all love it. :headshake

Reactions: MrsE88

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Haha
I’ve started liking cats less and less as I get older. Now they are all outside to keep the rats at bay.

Speaking of waking up early because of animals......

My boxer woke me up at 5am because he needed to go outside. Fine, I normally get up between 5:30-6 anyway.
Let the dogs out. Then I remember I have bills to put out in the box. I go through the kitchen to get shoes on and I smell something.... I swear I smell smoke! I instantly start to panic. I open the door to the breezeway and leads to the garage. I thought maybe I put the grill into the garage too soon last night after grilling and maybe it was smoking up the garage.

Nothing.

Then I think smoke rises right? I run down the basement checking baseboards, furnace, water heater, breaker box..... Nothing!
It doesn’t smell down there either.

Then I panic thinking maybe it’s coming from my daughters bedroom that right above the kitchen. So I run upstairs checking outlets, feeling the walls for heat, checked the baseboards upstairs in all rooms.... Nothing!

I run back downstairs to go to the sunroom checking all tanks and equipment, baseboards, outlets, walls.... still nothing!

I’m shaking, confused, and at a loss. The smell is only in the small walkway between the breezeway door and kitchen. I keep checking the basement because it’s the only place that makes sense for the smell to be coming from, but it doesn’t smell down there!

Then I remember I had my husband remove the battery from the smoke detector in the kitchen. I get a step stool and take the detector down to put a new battery in. Surely it will go off right away if there is smoke in the house.
I put a battery in but it’s not working when I hit the test button!
I was shaking so bad and didn’t know what to do, so I called my husband hoping he’d be awake. He answered and had to calm me down so I could explain what was going on. Turns out I had to flip the battery over *facepalm*
Detector works so I put it up and wait......
Nothing!!!!!

I finally gave up. I don’t know what I’m smelling, but he house isn’t on fire. Now I just feel like a crazy person:nilly:

Sorry for the long story :yuck: Such a bad way to start the day.
Sorry to hear about this. I occasionally smell a burning smell in my bedroom. I believe it's the tv odor as it never sticks around.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Sorry to hear about this. I occasionally smell a burning smell in my bedroom. I believe it's the tv odor as it never sticks around.
I think what bothered me the most was that I felt it wasn’t a coincidence that I got up that early, had to mail bills, and ended up going out the back door to notice the smell. My mom suggested that perhaps it was to get me to put the new battery in the smoke alarm.

That could be why, I guess.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I don’t know what I’m smelling,
Hello; What happens to me sometimes is that the mucous membranes lining my nose and breathing passages trap small particles. My take is this is one of the natural functions of our nose and sinus linings. Sometimes first thing in the morning I get a hint of the odor of things I was working around the day before. I have suspected enough particles can get trapped and with getting up in the morning I may rub my face and dislodge enough to recall the odor. just a wild guess.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I think I figured it out!

Woke up this morning, let the dogs out. I go sniff around to see if the smell is there again this morning and I don’t smell anything. Huh, whatever.

I go about my normal routine. Brush my teeth, wash my face, ect. When I go back into the kitchen and over to the door(top of basement steps) I smell that same smell again!
Then it hit me. As I was walking through the livingroom I heard the water heater downstairs kick on. That’s got to be it! For whatever reason it has a smell that wafts up the steps when it turns on, but the smell doesn’t continue because you can’t smell it down by the heater.
Now I don’t feel so crazy. Lol

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no animals, or family wake me up. Rule#1 no animals allowed in my bedroom. no exceptions. Me and the wife sleep in our own rooms. visits? yes :), but no sleeping over. and lastly and most important. 96DB ear plugs and a fan. i dont hear squat. any house noise in the house drives me nuts when I go to bed.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
she snores, big time. and says I snore big time. No reason to keep each other awake when there is another room, she has her mom room/cave and I have my man/room cave. granted I have the master bath but thats because she does not do stairs well these days so she has the guest room down stairs right next to her own full bath.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store