Oh Deer!

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I think that coyote would strongly disagree, lol.

Seriously though, i've had a few pet cats in my time over the years, and I've had my fair share of scratches too. Most of those scratches were my own fault through playing a little too rough with them. But never once did it enter my head to have their claws snipped.

Anyone with a brain in their head would know that stripping a cat of its claws can have serious implications for the animal when it's out and about doing cat things.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I think that coyote would strongly disagree, lol.

Seriously though, i've had a few pet cats in my time over the years, and I've had my fair share of scratches too. Most of those scratches were my own fault through playing a little too rough with them. But never once did it enter my head to have their claws snipped.

Anyone with a brain in their head would know that stripping a cat of its claws can have serious implications for the animal when it's out and about doing cat things.
One this I would like to add is that they aren't just snipping the claw back. Even if you trim your cats claws too short they will still grow back. The only way they can make it not grow back is when they physically remove the entire knuckle that the claw is attached to. So when a cat gets declawed it's essentially just removing the first knuckle on each and every toe.

It would be like if ya were to take a pair of bolt cutters and cut the first joint off of each finger and expecting that ya could still use your hand like nothing happened.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I don't know about other parts of the world but we banned declawing cats in 2006.

And that, right there, is a perfect example of why the notion of global unity and peace is a pipe dream. While proponents of this fantasy hold hands and sing koombayah, telling us to respect each other's differences and celebrate our commonalities...we have countries where declawing a cat is seen as a heinous criminal act and is punishable under the law...and we have countries where atrocities like female circumcision are still legal and commonly practiced.

Good luck with that "meeting of minds" thing...

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
And that, right there, is a perfect example of why the notion of global unity and peace is a pipe dream. While proponents of this fantasy hold hands and sing koombayah, telling us to respect each other's differences and celebrate our commonalities...we have countries where declawing a cat is seen as a heinous criminal act and is punishable under the law...and we have countries where atrocities like female circumcision are still legal and commonly practiced.

Good luck with that "meeting of minds" thing...
Yes, well we could take this conversation in all sorts of different directions. It's safe to say that across the board global unity will never ever happen.

There's a lot to be said about the different religions, cultures, beliefs, ideals etc etc from country to country.

The example you gave is without doubt one of the most disturbing aspects of what goes on in some parts of the world today. And what makes it even more disturbing for us, is that it's just run of the mill normality for the nation's who carry it out. The mind boggles.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Just out of curiosity, Esox...is it also illegal to chop off dogs' ears and tails in "blighty"? I recall my father explaining to me when I was a young child how, when he was a youngster in the "Old Country"(rural Ukraine, in this case), dogs' ears were usually left alone, but the tails were often removed by the simple expedient of biting them off...the biting being done by the dog's owner. I was horrified.

Q: "Why would they do that, Dad?"

A: "Veterinarians were not even in existence then, not where I grew up, anyway."

Q: "No, no, I mean...why would anybody want to cut off a dog's tail?"

A: "It looks better; everybody did it..."

Oh, okay...that explains it... :headshake

The last dog which my father owned, and which I inherited and kept until her death a number of years later, was a beautiful little MinPin...my wife always referred to her as a Lhapso Fatso :)...which was also, coincidentally, the only dog which my father ever purchased, as opposed to all the rescues we had as I was growing up. She had her ears and tail "done", and I am pretty sure that he bought her because he liked the look, but knew that I would be aghast if he had it done to a pup that came to him au naturel.

"Normal" is a dangerously weird word.

Reactions: esoxlucius

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Good to hear that this is taken seriously; calling it what it is, i.e. "mutilation" goes a long way towards making people think about this.

My province of Manitoba bans this BS, but I still seem to see a lot of dogs that have been subjected to it. Oddly, the Humane Society supports the ban...but the Canadian Kennel Club opposes it.

"Not a dog person"??? I've heard that such folks existed, but...I always just assumed they were cat people only because their circumstances didn't allow them to keep a proper pet...:)

• Haha
Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Good to hear that this is taken seriously; calling it what it is, i.e. "mutilation" goes a long way towards making people think about this.

My province of Manitoba bans this BS, but I still seem to see a lot of dogs that have been subjected to it. Oddly, the Humane Society supports the ban...but the Canadian Kennel Club opposes it.

"Not a dog person"??? I've heard that such folks existed, but...I always just assumed they were cat people only because their circumstances didn't allow them to keep a proper pet...:)
We have a dog! Certainly not my call, it was the wife. I like it when my cat is warming himself in front of the fire and the dog tries to get on the rug too!! The dog found out the hard way that it's not wise to disturb the cat. The rug belongs solely to the cat, lol.

IMG_20220605_165813_HDR.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store