Oh Deer!

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
.....rabbit bones,is there a shaman running around performing rituals on people's properties?
Most likely the work of a cat. Mine gets squirrels, rabbits, quail, mice, lizards and who knows what else. I rarely use the front door but one day followed my cat and the rabbit out was carrying to the front porch. I found what was the remnants of seven different animals there. He definitely earns his keep. I have a few pics but thinking I should not post them here.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve found dead birds a couple times and never even though it was a cat lol. I jumped straight for coyote (maybe because it makes a better story idk).
There was some poop near one that looked more about size for a fox than the small shriveled cat stuff.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Most likely the work of a cat. Mine gets squirrels, rabbits, quail, mice, lizards and who knows what else. I rarely use the front door but one day followed my cat and the rabbit out was carrying to the front porch. I found what was the remnants of seven different animals there. He definitely earns his keep. I have a few pics but thinking I should not post them here.
Yeah....such things almost make me dislike cats.It would be nice if they were more selective in what they hunted.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've found and buried a halve of a fawn that was killed in my front lawn the head and 2 front legs. I would assume a pack of Coyote. Found a trail of dry blood on the side of the house so the fawn tried to get away from running from the back of the house. I was told when born the fawn does not have a scent so it moved from where the Doe left it.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Yeah....such things almost make me dislike cats.It would be nice if they were more selective in what they hunted.
That would be nice but I live in a rural area. Cats are a necessity here for rodent control. There's no shortage of those other prey items here either, or wild game in general. I was very surprised to hear about all the different animals here in northern Arizona

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That would be nice but I live in a rural area. Cats are a necessity here for rodent control. There's no shortage of those other prey items here either, or wild game in general. I was very surprised to hear about all the different animals here in northern Arizona
....rodent control is nice,it is the prime reason I put up with my cat here lol, but cats killing the other animals out in the wild is not so nice.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I’ve found dead birds a couple times and never even though it was a cat lol. I jumped straight for coyote (maybe because it makes a better story idk).
There was some poop near one that looked more about size for a fox than the small shriveled cat stuff.
Coyotes wouldn't leave it behind. They never know when their next meal will be so they often over feed if the opportunity presents itself. Cats on the other hand will kill purely for sport at times and not eat the remains afterwards. This most often happens with domestic house cats rather then feral cats, due to them having a constant food source.

Not really too experienced with foxes so can't really put any input into that one. I would imagine they would eat what they kill tho.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Not really too experienced with foxes so can't really put any input into that one. I would imagine they would eat what they kill tho.
Here in the uk foxes are hated by many people. Especially the country types, farmers and such. But the past few decades has also seen an increase in urban populations too, so even town people with rabbit hutches or chicken coops in their gardens are also fair game for these opportunistic nuisances.

The reason they are hated so much is due to their "style" of killing. If one gets into a chicken coop it will kill ALL the chickens and take what it can carry in its mouth, typically one!! An extremely wasteful and devastating method of killing. I lived on a small farm as a kid and on occasion i witnessed this devastation first hand.

For the record though I love foxes, but if I decided to get some chickens in my back yard for eggs, or a couple of pet rabbits for my son, then in time, i'm sure I would come to hate them too.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store