oh so that's tempered glass!

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
OK, Im confused here. Tempered glass is under both compressive and tensile strength? :confused:
Is this why it is prone to being wavy?

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
Phixer;818581; said:
OK, Im confused here. Tempered glass is under both compressive and tensile strength? :confused:
Is this why it is prone to being wavy?
i think it is the rapid cooling that makes it wavy

fish head )'>

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
S.E. Michigan
$31 for new glass.
$46 new tank.
$20 for used (like new, not a scratch) 30x24x12 tank from Salvation Army with light/hood.
****also note the OVERFLOW instead of drilling the tank. :D :D I think I need to paint it black though.
I only had to cut the drywall a little more and still need to go to Home Depot for new molding. (I also need to use a ladder for water changes.)
New home for African grow out.
bottom 20g Long for birchardi and fry.

100_7135.jpg

100_7137.jpg

100_7144.jpg

100_7139.jpg

Bobnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Humboldt
That looks like a nice setup!

I read the thread title and said "oh no..." to myself. I was right :p

The easy way to see if it is tempered glass is to drill it. If it explodes like a car window, it was tempered...
Seems kinda silly to temper the sides of a 30g, but the evidence is there!

I hate cleaning up all those thousands of tiny pieces of glass, it's one of my least favorite things about replacing broken car windows.

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
Bobnova;900123; said:
That looks like a nice setup!

I read the thread title and said "oh no..." to myself. I was right :p

The easy way to see if it is tempered glass is to drill it. If it explodes like a car window, it was tempered...
Seems kinda silly to temper the sides of a 30g, but the evidence is there!

I hate cleaning up all those thousands of tiny pieces of glass, it's one of my least favorite things about replacing broken car windows.
I feel your pain mate, Im an apprentice glazier and I've cleaned up A few blown up door panels thousands of little bits between sliding door tracks:wall:

I dont know if this has been said already but you can use polarized sunglasses to tell if it's toughened/tempered you can see black stres points in the corners;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store