Ok it's been long enough, time to sex my Rd/Midas...

TenaciousTankBuster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
California, Los Angeles
My fish is roughly close to 5 inches now and displays his breeding tube nearly all the time now. The only problem is that sometimes it appears to be sunken in more, while at other times it appears very long and clearly looks like a male to me. I heard that feeding them a hefty amount will bulge thier belly and make the breeding tube easier to see. Not sure if there is any truth in that but these pictures were taken well into the day and hours after having some frozen krill.

The first few pics are general shots, while the last few are my weak attempts at getting a vent shot. The last pic is the very best I could take before the battery on my digicam ran out. Tomorrow, I'll get some better shots and peferably after I feed him. If anyone wants to make some educated guesses on sex before I can get some better shots of the vent, be my guess. Thanks!

And finally, this is the best picture I was able to get before my batteries ran out. You can clearly see it is long there. What do you guys and gals think? Tomorrow I'm going to feed him and try to take a much better pic. Untill then, this was the best I could do:

perun28

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2005
Canada
hi tenacious , in my opinion it is a male beacuse of the last shot , the only strange thing is that why he has so short fins ,p.s i'm sebastiian from midas cichlid

TenaciousTankBuster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
California, Los Angeles
perun28;528115; said:
hi tenacious , in my opinion it is a male beacuse of the last shot , the only strange thing is that why he has so short fins ,p.s i'm sebastiian from midas cichlid
Hey how's it going man. I was meaning to post this thread over there too, but it was too late to stay up on the computer. So you really think he's a male? And what about the short fins? What ones? Pectorial, dorsal, or other? His dorsal fin is actually quite high when alert.

Any other opinions?

TenaciousTankBuster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
California, Los Angeles
Could I get a lil more replies please. I went through alot of trouble to get these shots tonight:

Hopefully these shots are sufficient enough for most of you to come to a conclusion. If not, I'll do my very best to get better pics. Although somehow, I don't think it's going to get much better then these. Also, if anyone thinks it is a female please explain why. Thanks! :popcorn:

babychris

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
ca
it's a boy. vent tube is small and skinny. would like to find out which pet store did you bought him from. I am also lookinf for a female. thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store