Old Aquarium Heater repairs

caoder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Montreal
Hello all i have an old Elite heater that's not submersible and it wasn't working so i went ahead and diagnosed the issue it turns out to be a 250V 3 A fuse that is shot. Would it be safe (as long as i keep a keen eye on the temps) to bypass this fuse with a wire. its the old kind with resistant wire wrapped around a ceramic tube in half of the heater.
I understand that it'd be a liability if any thing shorts... but a heater is more or less a controlled short.i mean a fuse isn't designed to limit a current, its only there as a safety for circuit damage.

I couldn't find a datasheet on the fuse in question but its a E2 TAM 250V 3A~ (PS)E JET (which some googling resulted in fuses) Also a quick bypass test started the heater running.

Any help would be appreciated.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Perhaps the fuse can be replaced. Perhaps Radio Shack? An audio shop, Parts Express, from which I purchase speaker parts carries a good selection of parts. If you do go with the wire, then it may pay to install a GFI outlet for the tank equipment. I have been bitten by stray juice around a tank a few times and did not like it at all.

caoder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Montreal
Testing it out in a large juice can everything functions right just need to make sure things work well i'll see about a replacement fuse at some point but i'm just gunna see how it works for now. when the heat contacts break it sparks a bit but nothing really bad happens from that.

and everything's drip looped with a surge protector we'll see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store