old "live rock" from sw tank for african cichlid display?

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Setting up my first proper "display tank" that will have everything hidden in the sump or behind the overflow chamber. Black 2-d background, fill with african cichlids. I have a ton of "base rock" or whatever it's called, that came from an old saltwater tank. Would that look good in there? Any advice how to glue it all together into one big peice? I bought some of the instant-ocean putty **** that you squeeze together and it didn't work. It didn't even get hard, I don't know what the hell is the point of that stuff.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That putty is some of the worst stuff I’ve ever used in an aquarium. I use cyanoacrylate super glue, I believe epoxy works as well.
SW rock would be perfect for a rift lake tank. Not only does it have lots of holes that act as caves, but is also a wonderful buffer for the pH. Just clean it up first to get any possible decaying matter off.

Reactions: tlindsey

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
That putty is some of the worst stuff I’ve ever used in an aquarium. I use cyanoacrylate super glue, I believe epoxy works as well.
SW rock would be perfect for a rift lake tank. Not only does it have lots of holes that act as caves, but is also a wonderful buffer for the pH. Just clean it up first to get any possible decaying matter off.
Thanks for both the reassurance that that product sucks, and the info about the rocks. I hosed them off, but they look like crap still.. Look like there were little white worm skeletons on them. I have a big ass 55 gallon brute garbage bin. Could I fill it with freshwater and a powerhead and throw them in to clean them? Or am I gonna have to like literally scrub them with a brush?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sounds like feather duster tubes. You’d probably have the best luck scrubbing manually. To my knowledge they aren’t made of any organic material so it wouldn’t be harmful if they were left there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store