Old man cat

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Outdoor runs(fenced can probably increase a cats lifespan. At a horse stable I used to work at ther was a cat estimated to be from 35 to 40ish years old(the reason I say estimated is because there is some confusion on his age when he arrived),this cat was a small orange tabby.
The property is fenced in but he can easily explore the open world. As he's aged though he rarely leaves the porch.

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
What an amazing cat. I heard the life span of cats that live outdoors are much shorter than indoor cats.. but 15-17 years that truly awesome.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
What an amazing cat. I heard the life span of cats that live outdoors are much shorter than indoor cats.. but 15-17 years that truly awesome.
This is true in large cities and suburbia as the cats have lots of threats from cars to dogs, and worst of all, people. In a farm setting (like ehh's cat) its completely different, they hunt for a decent portion of their food which means good exercise and a 'better' diet than suburban cats that mostly eat dry food.
The threats from people and heavy traffic are reduced in a 'farm type' setting and the cats are usually smart enough to stay away from the odd vehicle they do encounter.

So in closing, yes, my cats wouldn't live to 15 if they were outside because I'm in a suburban area with large dogs and feral people, if I moved bush however and let them out, there's very little reason they shouldn't live that long. Its all about the outside environment. :)

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
This is true in large cities and suburbia as the cats have lots of threats from cars to dogs, and worst of all, people. In a farm setting (like ehh's cat) its completely different, they hunt for a decent portion of their food which means good exercise and a 'better' diet than suburban cats that mostly eat dry food.
The threats from people and heavy traffic are reduced in a 'farm type' setting and the cats are usually smart enough to stay away from the odd vehicle they do encounter.

So in closing, yes, my cats wouldn't live to 15 if they were outside because I'm in a suburban area with large dogs and feral people, if I moved bush however and let them out, there's very little reason they shouldn't live that long. Its all about the outside environment. :)
Thanks for the clarification Kittiee. That made perfect sense. all i know is my cat is a spoiled sassy princess for sure. I havent seen her off the heating mat for the past month now..

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016

The biggest problems farm cats seem to face(while working at a horse stable where we had approx 100 to a 120 cats for adoption on average.) are parasites/illness,coyotes,snakebites in that order,however the biggest killer in cat populations tends to be easily cars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store