Olive Oscars

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
When I was a kid, back in the 70s, one of the Axelrod books published pics of some wild Oscars that were an olive green with bits of gold and red. I thought they were incredible and watched for them ever since but have never seen them in any shop. In fact, only once have I seen them, and that was a few years ago at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. They have about 4 of them and they are beautiful!

Every now and then I search to see if anyone has some, and I know someday I'm gonna get them! This is a horrible picture, but they wouldn't turn around and I was using a bum camera.Picture 061.jpg

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Do they look like this?
Seiichi who is a member on here has had some incredible wild Oscar this being one type. I'm not sure of its locale but I would love to get my hands on something like this. Recently I have obtained some common tigers and I really have a new love for Oscars. They are often overlooked as a common cheap inexperienced keepers fish but IMO if kept properly they are extraordinary!

0321-negro-3-s_sh01.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is that an adult? Young and juvenile oscars usually have that kind of patterning....as for the "olive" colored oscars it appears that the more designer type strains have overshadowed the natural looking fish,causing them to be less popular and availible in the hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store