Omega 1 vs NLS

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Agreed on quality and I only understand customs based on the info R.D. has presented in various food threads. Still learning there for sure.

But, if the op had asked the question which fish should I buy, a Midas or a Red Devil, answering "an Oscar" doesn't answer the question. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Absolutely right about that. Thats why i didnt get involved with the brand war going on.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I never have a good time with omega one since my fish didn't seem to like them very much. With my experience fish that I kept like hikari and NLS more than other food that I ever feed them. for the last whole year I feed my fish only with hikari as the pellet food in their diet and never have any health problem like I did when I use omega one and tetra the year before. I just started feeding some of my smaller fish with NLS community fish sinking pellet and they seem to love it a lot, the only thing I don't like is the pellets are too small so most of them will float instead of sink down.
BTW hikari's new koi food called saki Hikari is probably the best koi food I have ever used, the thing that they called hikari germ(that they will probably try to put them in other fish food as well) seem to do what they were suppose to do. All the fish that I feed them that haven't got any disease yet since I started feeding them that last year.
Again this is just my experience and my opinion on these food, what you see might be different.

rich4297

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2012
NJ
I never have a good time with omega one since my fish didn't seem to like them very much. With my experience fish that I kept like hikari and NLS more than other food that I ever feed them. for the last whole year I feed my fish only with hikari as the pellet food in their diet and never have any health problem like I did when I use omega one and tetra the year before. I just started feeding some of my smaller fish with NLS community fish sinking pellet and they seem to love it a lot, the only thing I don't like is the pellets are too small so most of them will float instead of sink down.
BTW hikari's new koi food called saki Hikari is probably the best koi food I have ever used, the thing that they called hikari germ(that they will probably try to put them in other fish food as well) seem to do what they were suppose to do. All the fish that I feed them that haven't got any disease yet since I started feeding them that last year.
Again this is just my experience and my opinion on these food, what you see might be different.
Thank you for some on topic info. Didn't want a brand war just info on the two brands. My non aggressive community tank loves 1 mm NLS but my larger cichlids spit a lot of it out. But that is what worries me would you rather eat vegetables or McDonald's vegetables are healthier but McDonald's taste better which one would you spit out for first. I like all the fruit and vegetable and greens in the Nls but my fish seem to like Omega one better. But most of my fish are carnivores which makes me think the Olmega one ingredients are better. It's a tough decision. No more northfin talk please.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
the smaller fish that piscivores eat are gut-loaded with some algae, so vegetation is part of a "carnivore" diet.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
the smaller fish that piscivores eat are gut-loaded with some algae, so vegetation is part of a "carnivore" diet.
That doesn't make them like their veggies. Ya have to hide the peas in gravy sometimes.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Closed pending review.

If we could avoid killing each other over fish food,

4xy4hm.jpg

Reopened. Play nice folks.

4xy4hm.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
We shouldn't allow threads involving food. It promotes bad manners and poor oral hygiene.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Thank you for some on topic info. Didn't want a brand war just info on the two brands. My non aggressive community tank loves 1 mm NLS but my larger cichlids spit a lot of it out. But that is what worries me would you rather eat vegetables or McDonald's vegetables are healthier but McDonald's taste better which one would you spit out for first. I like all the fruit and vegetable and greens in the Nls but my fish seem to like Omega one better. But most of my fish are carnivores which makes me think the Olmega one ingredients are better. It's a tough decision. No more northfin talk please.

the problem that I have with NLS other than the non sink sinking pellet is they are pretty hard at first and most of them are made tiny. So if you want to feed your bigger fish with some other formulas instead of NLS big fish pellet they will spit them out because they cannot crush them with their mouth, especially cichlid because they are pretty much the meat eater in the wild and they would like to crush the small fish in their mouth a little bit before swallow them. that is why when cichlid grow bigger they tend chose the pellet that fit their mouth over the smaller one.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
On behalf of all Canadians, I apologize for the previous comments made in this discussion. :)

Shipping to the US, or from the US to Canada, is a non issue, if one is willing to jump through the hoops. It is done on a daily basis by thousands of Canadian & US companies. I used to be one of them. Also, Canada Customs has NOTHING to do with goods shipped out of Canada, their only concern is with goods entering Canada. And I also know many breeders of fish in ON that literally feed NLS to all of their fish. lol C'mon guys, you're making Canucks sound like some backwoods hillbillies.

Back on topic, same discussion, more factoids, and less BS. (from a couple of years ago)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?397026-Omega-One-vs-NLS

Just the facts, ma'am.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store