Omega One vs NLS vs Hikari?

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
So out of all the foods available on the market today Omega one, NLS, and Hikari seem to be the most popular and nutritional foods out there. I’ve been reading a lot of different conflicting information about all 3 of these companies and products Like how Hikari uses a lot of fillers, omega one uses rotten fish carcasses etc, but what I’m wondering is what the biggest difference between these foods is? What is fact and what is fiction? and specifically for things like cichlids and community fish, which is the best in everyone opinion to feed?

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Best fish food: Yes, I feed my fish all 3 brands and more

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
NLS has the best ingredients imo, omega downgraded their formula recently but it used to be my go to food. Hikari is average imo but still ok. I like to feed multiple brands for the sake of variety also so that if one food runs out they're already used to other ones.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Even though there are differences between them i believe all the top brands will do a "job". My hikari is quite cheap, my fish love it. On the other hand my 2kg tub of NLS cost almost as much as our weekly food shop for four! and my fish love that too. Have I seen significant overall health, colour or activity levels in my fish between the two? No.

So once my NLS has ran out i'll be happy to stick with hikari.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
NLS is great stuff. I feed NLS thera 3mm and 1mm pellets to all my fish as a staple. I mix in omega one shrimp pellets and fluval bugbites for the fish who might want a higher protein feed. Omega one shrimp pellets are one of my all time favorite fish products, and I've noticed certain fish go crazy for them.

Can't say much for Hikari. Apart from their substandard ingredients, my fish have generally not shown much enthusiasm for Hikari when I've tried it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store