One of these leaves is not like the others

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Hendre Hendre yes completely freshwater. From Peru. Lots of the flounders available are brackish so when I saw this one I jumped on the chance to have one.

jeaninel jeaninel im working on another feeding video it's just difficult to get him in a spot where feeding is visible enough to make a video and then to catch it on camera

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Wow! He is so cool!

It's nice actually - the fish don't even see him there so aren't even stressed out before BAM and one is gone. Hahaha

So he's safe with bichirs? Does he eat non-live food?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I found another person's video and this one is more patient so takes longer... you can see how the eyes go out and then retract as he scopes out the scene. SO COOL!

Reactions: Experiment397

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
magpie magpie the feeding video i posted is the cropped version haha, the original video is 3 minutes of him just sitting there and was the 8th attempt for a total of nearly 30 minutes of video to get that 12 second clip.

totally safe with bichirs, hes around 8" TL but has a fairly small mouth. will not touch anything not live. from what ive observed it has to be swimming over his eyes for him to strike. ive tried dead minnows floating in the current of a powerhead after starving him out for 2 weeks and he had no interest. I dont mind feeding live however, i have a fairly decent stock on hand of live minnows, guppies and mollies at all times all treated for parasites.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have seen small flounder in shops during my visits but have never thought much about them.I wasn't aware that they ate fish,I figured they fed on various worms and other lower organisms.....very interesting.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
I have seen small flounder in shops during my visits but have never thought much about them.I wasn't aware that they ate fish,I figured they fed on various worms and other lower organisms.....very interesting.
the more common "hog-choker" and the other brackish flounders are more likely to eat worms, but everything ive found and tried points to these larger FW south american species eating mostly small fish. Mine is currently plastered to the back glass of the tank and trying to blend in to the black background while he tries to get some of the minnows hanging out under the spraybar.

Reactions: magpie

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
the more common "hog-choker" and the other brackish flounders are more likely to eat worms, but everything ive found and tried points to these larger FW south american species eating mostly small fish. Mine is currently plastered to the back glass of the tank and trying to blend in to the black background while he tries to get some of the minnows hanging out under the spraybar.
The species you have would be the one that I'd be most interested in trying.

Reactions: Experiment397

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010

Chewing on a large piece of earthworm. First half of the video is of my baby Fire Eel. Second half you can see the Jenynsii munching on his worm like an old cowboy with a cheap cigar. First time getting it to eat something other than live fish and shrimp

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Update! He's starting eating pellets. Haven't gotten it on video yet but he will actually rise up off the bottom and hover in the lower water column to grab them as they drift by in the current. Still seems to prefer live fish but it's good to know he's picking up on the pellets and frozen food

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store