Opinions and advice

Sainioh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
Hello all!

So, i am slowly building up a cichlid tank. At the moment, i have a festae female (5inch), red tiger motaguense female (5inch), nandopsis tetracanthus (3inch) and a crenicichla sp. iniridae II (3inch).
These get along really well. The mota and festae go everywhere together and they tagteam to fight fish they see as enemys.

In your opinion, what could be suitable tankmates for that group? I know every fish is an individual, but as an general statement.
I have had oscars, severus, dempseys and such before, but i never have had these more aggressive cichlids. There was a 5inch oscar, almost died. Also there was a 5inch convict, same thing.

I know have a 125 gallon tank, but i will be upgrading it to something between 180-250 gallon.

I have been thinking a few species and i would really appreciate your opinions and advices.
Green terror, texas (H. Carpintis), Paratilapia polleni, Cryptoheros panamensis, midas, nandopsis salvini, vieja maculicauda.

I am not trying to build a "super aggressive" tank. Just would not want to see any public punching bags in there. Preferably max size around 12 inches.
Please give an opinion, everything is valued. Also, every species you have in mind, will be taken into consideration. We don't have really good availability in fish in Finland, but one can always try.

Last edited:

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Hello all!

So, i am slowly building up a cichlid tank. At the moment, i have a festae female (5inch), red tiger motaguense female (5inch), nandopsis tetracanthus (3inch) and a crenicichla sp. iniridae II (3inch).
These get along really well. The mota and festae go everywhere together and they tagteam to fight fish they see as enemys.

In your opinion, what could be suitable tankmates for that group? I know every fish is an individual, but as an general statement.
I have had oscars, severus, dempseys and such before, but i never have had these more aggressive cichlids. There was a 5inch oscar, almost died. Also there was a 5inch convict, same thing.

I know have a 125 gallon tank, but i will be upgrading it to something between 180-250 gallon.

I have been thinking a few species and i would really appreciate your opinions and advices.
Green terror, texas (H. Carpintis), Paratilapia polleni, Cryptoheros panamensis, midas, nandopsis salvini, vieja maculicauda.

I am not trying to build a "super aggressive" tank. Just would not want to see any public punching bags in there. Preferably max size around 12 inches.
Please give an opinion, everything is valued. Also, every species you have in mind, will be taken into consideration. We don't have really good availability in fish in Finland, but one can always try.
I would recommend Paratilapia Polleni, I've found that these fish can get on with more aggressive cichlids, vieja, amphilophus, etc. as well as the less aggressive cichlids, oscars, jack dempseys. Plus they're one of the most personable fish you can own, I believe I heard someone refer to them as African Oscars and it's a perfect description.

Although the Polleni and Tetracanthus could see each other and instantly hate each other due to physical similarities.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
For now I'd say you're stocked. Planning a bigger tank is great but life tends to get in the way pretty easily so it's best not to stock prematurely. That being said from the fish you listed my top pick would be the polleni. Hands down one of my favorite fish I've had and look forward to someday having the space for another.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Sainioh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
Thank you for the responses. If you have a species in mind, that is not on the list, please speak your minds. I love to find new species and learn about them.

Came upon a new one for me, nandopsis grammodes. It was compared to be around the same level of aggressiveness with the motaguense.
Any experience or info on that species?

• Haha
Reactions: Predator07

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thank you for the responses. If you have a species in mind, that is not on the list, please speak your minds. I love to find new species and learn about them.

Came upon a new one for me, nandopsis grammodes. It was compared to be around the same level of aggressiveness with the motaguense.
Any experience or info on that species?
I would go for the 250 if you can, and not put in the maculicauda or citrinellum from your list. Then decide which fish you do not wish to be a punching bag because when you get fish of the same level of aggressiveness, there is a chance one of them becomes the punching bag.

Are you trying to make an all female tank?

Sainioh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
Yea, my goal is to make an all female tank. Have some experience on cichlid spawning and not a friend of it. Especially now, when i am trying to get a nice looking community builded up.

Sainioh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
By the way, why not the maculicauda or the citrinellus? Not arguing, just curious about it.

Sainioh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
Sorry, english is not my first language. So, would there be too many aggressive cichlids in the tank? And are these two highly aggressive as well? I know Midas can be a true nightmare, but is the maculicauda that bad as well?
Been trying to read about these species online, but usually i trust people who have had these fish more. Again, individuals, but still.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Sorry, english is not my first language. So, would there be too many aggressive cichlids in the tank? And are these two highly aggressive as well? I know Midas can be a true nightmare, but is the maculicauda that bad as well?
Been trying to read about these species online, but usually i trust people who have had these fish more. Again, individuals, but still.
Yes, the maculicauda can be as bad as a Midas. So if you want to prevent any punching bags in your tank, I would advise not to add either one to the tank.

I would also advise that if you plan to add any more cichlids, add more than 1 at a time. If you only add one, then it can get harassed easily by the existing fish.

Reactions: Sainioh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store