Opinions on female Midas housing

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
I have been toying with the idea of "downgrading" my female Midas; it is a confirmed female I purchased her from Rapps at 8-9" around a year ago and she has only bulked since then length wise she is still about the same. She lives in a 55G solo...which I had planned to replace with a 90G and some tankmates....however she has gotten more aggressive than before so I am thinking no tankmate will work with her.

I am thinking about switching things around in my fishroom and moving her to a 40G breeder; which honestly has more swimming space than a 55G anyway. She typically only stays to one end of the 55 and I feel she may appreciate the extra width the 40B has to offer. She cant have any scape outside of some wood or rock which I keep minimal because she digs a lot. She is a wonderful fish but given her attitude I don't want to devote a larger tank to her anymore due to the fact I could utilize it better with some of my other fish.

So my critique is....is the 40B really that bad of a home for a fully grown confirmed female Midas?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have been toying with the idea of "downgrading" my female Midas; it is a confirmed female I purchased her from Rapps at 8-9" around a year ago and she has only bulked since then length wise she is still about the same. She lives in a 55G solo...which I had planned to replace with a 90G and some tankmates....however she has gotten more aggressive than before so I am thinking no tankmate will work with her.

I am thinking about switching things around in my fishroom and moving her to a 40G breeder; which honestly has more swimming space than a 55G anyway. She typically only stays to one end of the 55 and I feel she may appreciate the extra width the 40B has to offer. She cant have any scape outside of some wood or rock which I keep minimal because she digs a lot. She is a wonderful fish but given her attitude I don't want to devote a larger tank to her anymore due to the fact I could utilize it better with some of my other fish.

So my critique is....is the 40B really that bad of a home for a fully grown confirmed female Midas?
I don't think so at all. MAYBE you could get away w/ a 65g but a 75g would be more appropriate. Water quality will be almost impossible to maintain in a 40 Breeder, despite the fact that it's actually 48 gallons. Go with a 75g so she can have tankmates

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
Im not worried about maintaining the water quality...gallon wise it isnt much different than her 55G which is never over 10ppm of nitrate. I run a Cascade 1000 and a Penguin 350...which would transfer with her. I also keep a bunch of floating live plants which help and do 60% weekly WCs.

Im mainly concerned with her having enough room...but then I think "well technically the 40B is larger than the 55G"; thus I wanted others opinions. :)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Im not worried about maintaining the water quality...gallon wise it isnt much different than her 55G which is never over 10ppm of nitrate. I run a Cascade 1000 and a Penguin 350...which would transfer with her. I also keep a bunch of floating live plants which help and do 60% weekly WCs.

Im mainly concerned with her having enough room...but then I think "well technically the 40B is larger than the 55G"; thus I wanted others opinions. :)
I mean yea, a 40 Breeder is more footprint, but a 75g would be your best bet. I'm a bit of a hypocrite because of all the fish I have living together, but I still base my tanks on the largest in them so IMO a 40 Breeder might WORK, but she's gonna be super-aggresive and tankmates will be slim and none. You could TRY it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Don't you have a big tank she can co-exist with other fish? Keeping Amphilophus alone only makes them more aggressive - they are like Pitbulls, they need to socialize when younger or if you get them when they are larger, they should be kept w/ other large fish if possible. Any Amph I ever separated for aggression always got worse and worse by themselves

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
I don't know her history as I purchased her at adulthood; she has always been kept alone. I planned to do the tankmate thing but she has been alone for atleast a year with me and who knows how long before that. My hopes of tankmates have gone down the toilet. Which is okay; I am fine having her alone as most of my "evil" cichlids are alone. I could also devote more space to my Lyonsi and tankmates by "downgrading" her.

I have heard of people keeping lone females in a 29...but that is just way way too small IMO. The 40 though really for its gallons is a decent amount of space; which has me thinking it may be good enough for her as I doubt she will get larger than this and will always be alone.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I really don't see much difference between a 40b and a 55. For a 9" fish I would want the extra width more than the extra length.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store