Opinions on tank size.

Scoot123

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2017
So I found a 120”x30”x30” acrylic tank for a good price. It’s the widest I can find in my area without breaking the bank and having issues getting it in the house. But my biggest ray is at 29-30” tip to tail.. ☹ Do you think putting her in a tank that wide would stress her out or could the length make up for her needs? Right now she’s in a 300g Rubbermaid that I don’t get any enjoyment out of and it’s causing humidity issues in the basement so I really gotta find something else, it’s this or a plywood but The plywood I won’t trust on my second floor so I still won’t get much enjoyment out of her in the basement. The acrylic I would support my floor and stick it in the living room which is why I’m kinda leaning towards it just want opinions on if I’m gonna make a huge mistake trying to stick her in a tank like that. I’ve seen ppl have there rays in a tank where they have to bend the crap out of there tails to turn around but that doesn’t make it right. Atleast in this tank she could turn stretched out all the way if she wanted. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Do you currently use a dehumidifier in the basement? If not, you really need to get one. If someone is serious about their fish then they'll eventually get so many tanks that the humidity will require them to get a dehumidifier. I think you've reached your point. My point was a 75, a 55, a 29, and a 20.

Sorry I don't have anything to say about tank size, I thought this would help as well though.

Last edited:

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
30" is pretty tight, but if it's the best you can do right now it will certainly work. If you take your time on a nice plywood build and do 4 feet you will be farther ahead.

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

Scoot123

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2017
30" is pretty tight, but if it's the best you can do right now it will certainly work. If you take your time on a nice plywood build and do 4 feet you will be farther ahead.
Ya it’s the widest I can find around here without being too tall to get through doors. An 8x5x2.5 is what I really want if I went plywood but there’s no way I trust putting it upstairs on my new floor lol so it’d be stuck in the basement where I just only get to enjoy them when I’m feeding them or water change.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
So I found a 120”x30”x30” acrylic tank for a good price. It’s the widest I can find in my area without breaking the bank and having issues getting it in the house. But my biggest ray is at 29-30” tip to tail.. ☹ Do you think putting her in a tank that wide would stress her out or could the length make up for her needs? Right now she’s in a 300g Rubbermaid that I don’t get any enjoyment out of and it’s causing humidity issues in the basement so I really gotta find something else, it’s this or a plywood but The plywood I won’t trust on my second floor so I still won’t get much enjoyment out of her in the basement. The acrylic I would support my floor and stick it in the living room which is why I’m kinda leaning towards it just want opinions on if I’m gonna make a huge mistake trying to stick her in a tank like that. I’ve seen ppl have there rays in a tank where they have to bend the crap out of there tails to turn around but that doesn’t make it right. Atleast in this tank she could turn stretched out all the way if she wanted. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions?
In honesty, I had a 8x3 and my rays are up to 15", and I felt it was too narrow and have just sold it to get an 8x4.

But saying that, one of the most successful breeder here in uk has his tank3ft wide. Can you stretch to 3ft wide?

I don't know what Ray's you have, but maybe if that's the widest tank you can get, look at a smaller variant such as the retic or hystrix?

Scoot123

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2017
In honesty, I had a 8x3 and my rays are up to 15", and I felt it was too narrow and have just sold it to get an 8x4.

But saying that, one of the most successful breeder here in uk has his tank3ft wide. Can you stretch to 3ft wide?

I don't know what Ray's you have, but maybe if that's the widest tank you can get, look at a smaller variant such as the retic or hystrix?
It’s more of trying to find an acrylic tank that wide that isn’t over 2k.. An 8x3x3 acrylic would be perfect if I could find a decent priced one.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
It’s more of trying to find an acrylic tank that wide that isn’t over 2k.. An 8x3x3 acrylic would be perfect if I could find a decent priced one.
Ah yeah okay.

Well then if that's the case why not go for it,but keep and eye open for a wider one,and then when comes up grab it and sell yours?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store