Opinions on tank stocking

Abrad115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
I wanted to get some opinions on the tank setup I want. I have a 75g tank that previously had an Oscar but he died. I currently have a male jack Dempsey, I believe a female Firemouth and 2 neon rosy barbs. My brother has an eb acara in a 20g that he doesn’t take care of so I want to take it as a rescue mission. I want to get 4 more of the barbs. I also was thinking about getting 2 or 3 pictus cats. I just wanted to get another opinion before I get all of the fish

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I don’t think the tank is big enough for all those fish.
The JD, Accra, and FM, with 2-3 barbs is a pretty well stocked tank imo. (I’m not too familiar with the barbs but think they get to be about 6 inches).

even then the cichlids might not all get along.

Reactions: tlindsey

Abrad115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
Do you think it would work without the acara? It’s stunted and only about 3-4 inches long and I don’t think it’ll grow anymore so that was a concern to begin with

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The JD is the one to be concerned about once it reaches 6"+. It will leave the barbs alone, but it may or may not take a serious disliking to the FM.

Reactions: tlindsey

Abrad115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
He doesn’t seem to be aggressive but he is also still young. I’ve tried to get a lot of sight breakers and caves rock try and help with territory issues. Thanks for your help

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Well, it could work or could not. If the JD and FM (or acara) form a pair, would probably kill any other cichlid in the tank, especially if it was just one other. They would probably also kill catfish attempting to get at their eggs. Rosy barbs might be ignored or too fast to catch, or might be eaten by JD.
On the other hand I think if the JD wasn't particularly mean and didn't pair up with anybody, they might not kill each other. I haven't known EBA or Meeki to be super aggressive in general, and Dempsey's are hit or miss in my experience. I'd probably skip the cats to cut down on bioload and just get 2 or 3 more barbs if you attempt it.
It is a risk, but probably won't know unless you try it. I would have a spare tank handy for if it doesnt't work out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store