Ordeal finally over!!! 7 days no heat or power with temps in the 20s!!!!

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
The Halloween storm dumped 24" of snow and crippled the entire state of CT......It was quite a job keeping my 150 gallon tank and sons bearded dragon alive with such cold temps for an entire week...I had Zero fatalities!! A miracle!

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
congrats! glad you and all your pets made it threw.

how did you mange to do it?

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I ran my FX5 and Rena400 air pump off my car....ran my beamer for 7 days straight. I set up a small propane 3500 BTU heater on a step ladder 8" from the glass and ran it on and off....blew through 18 fuel cannisters. I never had the water drop below 69 degrees in the tank. My Matamata, Dats and Cats all made it through. I moved the Dragon into my office with the heater into a smaller tank and ran a single 50 watt heat lamp during the day. It was a labor of love but worth it as I have over 1500. worth of stock!! Every fish owner should have an AC power converter for backup. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.....it powered lights for my downstairs, charged our cell phones and kids video games......total of 175 watts and i used every one!

I only fed twice all week. My nitrates are high but otherwise all good!

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Glad no one died from the carbon monoxide a propane heater puts out.
Carbon Monoxide detectors run on batteries!! I used the heater on and off and only in my office where people are not.....I am not stupid enough to risk my family over my pets!! I had a detector in my office and it never went off....it is a brand new detector!

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
thats crazy. if that happened to me i would run a generator

zoomed.com