Order Gymnotiformes

aranos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2006
lawrence, KS
We've all seen the "how many knives are there?" threads on various forums. Yet, I've never seen a list even close to complete, so I made one. This list includes the complete (to my knowledge) gymnotiform order, although I might have missed some of the really recent discoveries (like in this past year). If you find one not on the list or an error/typo, please pm me, cause I'd like to correct it. It should go without saying that these are South and Central American knives only (you can keep your old world knives to yourself thank you very much).

As I have time, I plan to post pictures of as many species as possible, so this will also become a gymnotiform photo thread.

gymnotus_Page_1.jpg

gymnotus_Page_2.jpg

gymnotus_Page_3.jpg

gymnotus_Page_4.jpg

gymnotus_Page_5.jpg

aranos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2006
lawrence, KS
To grive credit where credit is due, almost all these pictures were taken by Will Crampton at the U of Florida. I am missing photos of g. ardilai and g. dimantinensis, so if you have any, post 'em up!

gymnotus anguillaris.jpg

gymnotus arapaima_Page_1.jpg

gymnotus bahianus_Page_1.jpg

gymnotus carapo_Page_1.jpg

gymnotus cataniapo.jpg

gymnotus choco_Page_1.jpg

gymnotus coatesi.jpg

gymnotus coropinae.jpg

gymnotus curupira.jpg

gymnotus cylindricus.jpg

gymnotus esmeraldas_Page_1.jpg

gymnotus henni.jpg

gymnotus inaequilabiatus.jpg

gymnotus javari.jpg

gymnotus jonasi.jpg

gymnotus mamiraua.jpg

gymnotus melanopieura.jpg

gymnotus obscurus.jpg

gymnotus onca.jpg

gymnotus panamensis.jpg

gymnotus pantanal.jpg

gymnotus paraguensis.jpg

gymnotus pedanopterus.jpg

gymnotus stenoleucus.jpg

gymnotus tigre.jpg

gymnotus ucamara.jpg

gymnotus varzea.jpg

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
That is a great post, should make this a knife id thread, and make it a sticky.:)

aranos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2006
lawrence, KS
Moving on to one of the less well studied families: Rhamphichthydae or the sand knives.

As for the gymnorhamphichthys genus, I only have these two pics of rondoni, and the third unidentified picture.

rondoni1.jpg

rondoni2.jpg

unknown.jpg

aranos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2006
lawrence, KS
rhamphichthys species are often hard to identify, leaving us with only identified pictures of marmoratus and the pretty well known pic of rostratus, respectively.

marmoratus1.jpg

aranos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2006
lawrence, KS
genus brachyhypopomus.

For more pics of brevirostris, let us not forget Red Devil's cute little guy--http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73683

beebei1.jpg

brevirostris1.jpg

occidentalis.jpg

pinnicaudatus1_Page_1.jpg

pinnicaudatus1_Page_2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store