Organic way to kill Algae in Outdoor Ponds

daveformen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
new york
In early Spring this year we had algae growing in the lake and ponds. I used Barley straw in mesh bags in the stream and ponds to kill the algea and stop new growth, as the Barley straw breaks down it releases algae killing enzimes. It can take over 200 lbs of straw for a 1 acre lake but for small ponds it does not take much. I used 1 bale about 40 lbs for the lake and small bags 5 to 10 lbs each in the ponds. Barley straw is best applied in early spring, before algae normally begins to grow, even at the start of Winter to get a jump on it. Put the Barley straw into mesh bags and submerged 2-3 feet below the water surface. I also put it in the stream. The algae was gone a 3 weeks later and my neighbors lake down stream also cleared of algae. If you have a small pond, a bale of Barley Straw is not expensive and can keep in a dry area for years if you don't need all of it that season. The Barley will not harm your fish and has no weed seeds to cause more problems. My Koi like to use the mesh Barley bags as their spawning media.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I'm not sure if adding barley straw in the beginning of winter is a good idea. With the lower temperatures much of your beneficial bacterial processes slow down. Adding organic matter at this time might not be good. I would wait until the water warms up in the spring.

beckles55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Kingston ontario
This is an interesting principle . I'm wondering if this could be scaled down to be used in the aquarium. Maybe nylons with the straw inside would work.

daveformen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
new york
I use a small nylon mesh bag from a discount store in my aquarium. Onion net bags work well too. I used to put it in the filter when I used a store bought one, but now just a little bag. My young Koi play with it.

jacinnm

Feeder Fish
Oct 1, 2012
New Mexico
Hi Dave,
Did you have green water algae or hair algae?
I have a very small preformed pond in the back with a pot of waterlilies and the hair algae even with filtration and a lot of water turn over is out of control. I realize the Water Lilly adds a lot of organic material to the pond but it is at the point I am about to git rid of the pond.
I do not have a green water problem because the pond does not receive a lot of direct sun light and I keep the pond stocked with Daphna which do a fantastic job of eliminating green water.
Would Barley straw eliminate hair algae?
Thanks,
Joe

daveformen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
new york
Hi, I have used Barley straw for hair algae, a friends small pond this year had a large amount of it so I used a large aquarium fine mesh net to get most of it out and than added the straw. It takes 5 to 8 weeks for the straw to break down so its best to get a jump on it. I love my ponds so to me its worth the work but New York has colder Winters so algae is limited. The pond became free of algae about 5 weeks later. Sometimes the soil used for water plants has extras in it, one place I got water lilies from had growth pellets in the soil which feed the algae also. I use clams for cleaning the water also. Good luck with you pond.

daveformen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
new york
Placing Barley straw in winter just gets a jump on it, in New York w get warm bouts but in some areas warm weather is common so placing straw in the pond year round is a good thing to do. The straw breaks down best at 68 degree water temp. but it sometimes people dont get a jump on the algae quick enough and it takes over. A town next to mine has a large lake with expensive houses on it, the lake is covered by August with algae, it would take very little money and less in work to make the water quality better. Some times people can't do even the simplest of things to help nature and the fish in that lake. Maybe next year I will force the issue with the people you own there.

Fishoreel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2011
S. GA
I use barley straw in my pond too. I was skeptical about it working, but it did. I just wish I could buy a big bale of it, all I can get is the small bags of it.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
What about barley straw decomposing? Wouldn't that be of some concern?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

daveformen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
new york
I grow my own now, but if you have a local farm paper, in my area they are in Diners and small stores given out for free. Local straw farmers place ads in them. You can also call a local SPCA and ask if they know anyone who has Barley straw bales. I'm sure someone has it in your area, it just takes finding those people. How big is your pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store