Ornate being picky with food

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
I have a 5 inch long Ornate that I would normally would feed frozen bloodworms and beefheart to. Now he had this diet for approx a month before I decided to start him on a diet of Hikari massivore pellets which he really seems to enjoy as he eats the whole thing. However I have tried to feed bloodworms/beefheart multiple times now and he refuses to touch it, to the point that it just sits where it sank to. Is this behavior normal or not?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
. Is this behavior normal or not
Perfectly normal Hikari Massivore Pellet are addictive to Bichir lol. I personally wouldn't worry about the Beefheart or Frozen Bloodworms anymore. Beefheart is not healthy to feed and Frozen Bloodworms aren't nutritional as the Hikari Massivore Pellets.

Reactions: clm08k

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hikari has a great recipe for getting fish hooked on their products. Once had a Silver Arowana who was nuts over Hikari floating food sticks.

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
Perfectly normal Hikari Massivore Pellet are addictive to Bichir lol. I personally wouldn't worry about the Beefheart or Frozen Bloodworms anymore. Beefheart is not healthy to feed and Frozen Bloodworms aren't nutritional as the Hikari Massivore Pellets.
Ah alright. I usually try to vary the diet of all of my fish.

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
Bloodworms are not nutritious and give no benefit, beef-heart which is a mammalian product is not usually fed to predatory fish as they have a hard time digesting. Sticking to massivore is good
Oh, when I bought the Ornate at my LFS I was told that bloodworms were good to feed it. I did not know that. I guess I will only feed it massivore now.

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
Most lfs honestly don't know what to feed Bichir. Including myself didn't know but a good friend of mind also a member told me what foods to feed. I suggest adding Tilapia to your rotation of food items.
I did that the other day and he refused to touch it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store