Ornate Bichir 16" has pale white patches, bleeding. pics disease? bruise?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Thanks so much for posting that thread. While I cannot see any actual worms, the damage patterns are very similar with the white patches with red streaks. I'm keeping the tetracycline going, adding parasite guard, adding salt and upping the temps to around 80f. I'm going to do a 40% water change today too. Keeping the lights off as to not stress the fish. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I'm getting a Deli and a Moke this weekend, I want to have a safe clean new home for them hopefully WITH my ornate that I already love.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
if the damage was there before he had a chance to hang out with the pleco, then the pleco can't be the cause...although the pleco would probably start causing problems down the road.

but, if the damage was there before you got the bichir then bichir worms are the likely culprit. I just had this issue about a month ago and i have become very educated on the subject... but i could see little planaria like worms on my fish. I dosed with prazi pro at 1/2 dose for 2 weeks and that seemed to clear it up.

I think the parasite guard should work just as well according to other threads, but treat at half or 3/4ths dose as bichirs are sensitive to these meds.

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
I would 100% look closer to make sure that there are no small brownish worms around the white patches,, they can be hard to see...and can spread fast to other polys.if they're worms bump temp up to 84 add salt and pazzi. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Thanks for the input, I think it will help save this big guy. I haven't been able to visually see worms through the glass of the tank, but I'm pretty positive this is the culprit. I have no idea if he's tank raised or WC. The LFS said he just got traded in, so it's a guess.

I'm going to use my camera to get a closer look with the optical zoom and try to confirm, but I'm going to treat for worm regardless along with the tetracycline and hope this helps clear it up.

Do these worms infest other fish species? just poly's? Should I worry about my catfish and cichlids?

I'm think I'll treat the whole tank per instruction on meds and repeat after 10 days.

Thanks everyone, this has helped a lot.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Also I've removed the carbon from my filters, should I remove the white ammonia packs too?

I'm not sure what they're called, the white pellet filter media for ammonia?

Thanks everyone

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
these worms are supposed to be bichir specific (hence the name,) so i woulnd't worry about your other fish. I treated my whole tank because...well, i mostly have bichirs and i couldnt move them all to QT.

you want to remove carbon if medicating...what are the ammonia packs? you would want to leave the bio filter intact, but if it is chemical filtration it might also absorb the medication.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
it's a white pellet filter media that a friend told me removes ammonia. Now that I'm looking online, they may be just porous pellets that provide surface for bio filtration.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
YES, I see them now with my led flashlight. Small white and red tubes, wiggling in the current. All outside of the damaged areas spreading outward it seems. They're getting the nuke now. Let's keep our fingers crossed for this cool guy.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
good luck. he looked a little rugged on those pics. hope he pulls through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store