Oscar always facing up

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Brick will grip the basketball in his mouth and "pop" it loose at the surface. Then he'll chase /splash it across the top. I don't mind the noise. I leave one of the lids up so he can bounce it higher. His previous "toys" were:

1. Rocks
2. Bigger Rocks
3. Heaters pulled off the glass
4. filtration pads pulled from the overflow
5. a giant ceramic open cave (17") he knocked over against the glass twice

So because of the nonsense:

1. All rocks 3" or less removed. A couple of boulders remain but are strategically placed under the plants (for the catfish)
2. Heaters are covered and now have super grip suction cups...Brick keeps trying, though...he slides and bumps the heaters sideways on the glass. Pushed one down so far the sensor was in the sand.
3. Filter pads are weighed with rocks inside the housings.
4. Ceramic cave removed! No point in being stupid...the thing weighs 2-3 lbs.

Given a choice, the basketball wins.
Yeah Oscars can get extremely bored very easily, and like allot of others say, they kind of are water puppies in a way. They get bored, they start playing with random things in the tank. They honestly are very intelligent. Almost too much so for their own good lol.

Reactions: triggered

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yeah Oscars can get extremely bored very easily, and like allot of others say, they kind of are water puppies in a way. They get bored, they start playing with random things in the tank. They honestly are very intelligent. Almost too much so for their own good lol.
This. Sometimes my O will randomly chase the severum and choc a few laps just for the #%** of it...then calmly goes back to his 'apartment' that he's with walls of plants (takes up a third of the tank). A large bare pit is at the center for his bed. Sometimes he just likes throwing his weight around. A big 0ne year old with an even bigger ego. The parrot won't take his junk, though.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
This. Sometimes my O will randomly chase the severum and choc a few laps just for the #%** of it...then calmly goes back to his 'apartment' that he's with walls of plants (takes up a third of the tank). A large bare pit is at the center for his bed. Sometimes he just likes throwing his weight around. A big 0ne year old with an even bigger ego. The parrot won't take his junk, though.
Yeah never had any overly mean O's except for one. He would harass everyone so I eventually had to take him back to my lfs where I got him from. Granted I think it was mainly because he grew up at a young age with African cichlids so it probably altered his attitude a bit.

Vertigon_z

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
New Jersey
He probably thinks you are going to feed him. It is not uncommon for oscar's to look up especially if they associate you with food. I have couple of fishes that do this anytime I am in the same room as the tanks.

Sleepymas

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2019
I never thought to give my Oscar toys until reading this. I noticed he likes to play with pebbles now and tosses them around and knocks the thermometer off the glass. I added a basketball that my son had that was small and he took right to it. I would "roll" it toward him and then he would push it back to me. I was going to let him keep playing but he attacked it so hard the one time he jumped partially out of water and ball flew out of the tank so I better only do it when I am watching to be safe. The other option is to get something that sinks or keep the lid closed but then it does not move as well. Anyhow very cool to play with a fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store