Oscar and cichlids compatibility

Brihansenrn

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2019
Port Charlotte fl
Question, I have a new Oscar that was much smaller than I expected on delivery. (2”) I have had him in with my 7” Oscar, separated in a breeding net, but now he is getting to big for the net, but not big enough to be free with his tankmate. Would it be ok to put him in a 40 gal tank with three African cichlids? The cichlids are about 4” each, and the baby Oscar is about 3”.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Question, I have a new Oscar that was much smaller than I expected on delivery. (2”) I have had him in with my 7” Oscar, separated in a breeding net, but now he is getting to big for the net, but not big enough to be free with his tankmate. Would it be ok to put him in a 40 gal tank with three African cichlids? The cichlids are about 4” each, and the baby Oscar is about 3”.

Personally wouldn't risk it. The African Cichlids may attack the baby Oscar.

Reactions: Brihansenrn

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are about 2000 different species of African cichlids, with different attitudes, and aggressive tendencies. If you mean Mbuna, or the jewel cichlid group, yes they would probably be too aggressive, if you mean those from the peacock, or kribensus group maybe not, Although in a tank as small as 40 gallons, that have any cichlids that are entrenched in their turf, a new round oscar is probably in danger.

Was the oscar attacked in the large tank? or is this simply supposition? Sometimes in a large enough tank, large cichlids ignore non-threatening small cichlid interlopers

Brihansenrn

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2019
Port Charlotte fl
There are about 2000 different species of African cichlids, with different attitudes, and aggressive tendencies. If you mean Mbuna, or the jewel cichlid group, yes they would probably be too aggressive, if you mean those from the peacock, or kribensus group maybe not, Although in a tank as small as 40 gallons, that have any cichlids that are entrenched in their turf, a new round oscar is probably in danger.

Was the oscar attacked in the large tank? or is this simply supposition? Sometimes in a large enough tank, large cichlids ignore non-threatening small cichlid interlopers
They are jewel cichlids, peacock, but one of them is fairly aggressive. The little Oscar has not been attacked in his current tank, but is separated. I am only concerned because of his small size that the other Oscar will go after him

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Not trying to burst your bubble or criticize but 2 oscars of equal size even reared together and equal size don't always work out due to pecking order. Unless you had some plan to try to accelerate the growth of the smaller oscar I don't know that this will work out.
Maybe, maybe in a very large tank.
As far as the africans you describe I don't think a 2" oscar would work. It would most likely get harassed a lot. The 6" oscar with the africans has a chance of working if the africans are big enough. If not the bigger oscar may try to eat them.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
They are jewel cichlids, peacock, but one of them is fairly aggressive. The little Oscar has not been attacked in his current tank, but is separated. I am only concerned because of his small size that the other Oscar will go after him
You can always try and see if the 2 oscars will work together. Then decide what to do if it doesn't work. Oscars have all kinds of different personalities. You would just need to watch closely, especially the first few days to see if the larger oscar bullies or attacks the smaller. Most likely it would bully if anything at this young age.
Plants/ hiding places will help protect the small oscar if it's bullied. This would only be a temporary solution/protection.
Let us know what you do. I had one oscar that was a little smaller than the group and he got bullied. So I target fed him. He's still the smallest (slightly) but he now know holds his own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store