Oscar bloated? Or am I paranoid?

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Mine got bloated way worse than tht and he still begged for food I stop feeding for a few days and it went down ur oscars doesnt look bloated maybe slightly some just have big bellies like that.

CombatWombat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Do you guys think I should keep him in the HT for now, or put him back in the 110 G tomorrow, when the antibiotic dose finishes? I kind of feel bad keeping him in the tiny tank, he's so bored lol.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Do you guys think I should keep him in the HT for now, or put him back in the 110 G tomorrow, when the antibiotic dose finishes? I kind of feel bad keeping him in the tiny tank, he's so bored lol.
Would move it once ur done with the abx.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I maybe totally wrong and I apologize in advance if I have misinterpreted the pictures because of the angle they were taken but I don't consider the fish looking normal. I'll explain why.

What I am seeing is not a bloated fish but a fish thinning out towards the back of the body. This makes the body look more "arched" shaped. This can happen in initial stages of emaciation and it is often related to a flagellate infestation. This disease has many names: bloat and wasting disease, hex, HITH, spironucleus vortens infection... to name a few. Not feeding the fish in this possible scenario is a big negative because if the fish has parasites, they can overcome the fish at times of starvation. Kanaplex will have no positive effect, and it is even possibly a negative as it is an additional stressor.

We've been discussing this a lot lately, and every one has a different opinion but here is mine....I'd consider this a possible case of flagellate infestation, most likely spironucleus vortens. The fish may not ever lose their appetite and eat but the nutrients get robbed by the flagellate, so it thins out or develops HITH.

As an example I'll put your picture against what I'd consider a healthy shape fish.

Your picture:
Oscar1.jpg

Normal shape. See how the fish below is not "arched" looking?
Oscar.jpg

A platy fish below with severe emaciation.
In oscars, you may not see that sort of emaciation. You'll more likely see head and lateral line erosion in the advanced stage.

Emaciated platy.jpg

And have a look at the shape of the oscar on the below link on page 1, the OP inquiring if his Oscars have HITH, which according to the response was being suggested as the culprit. Note the shape of the albino oscar, arched body shape sort of...but it's already in advanced stages where hole in the head is visible on the fish.

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/68-non-emergency-health-questions/252967-wound-or-hith

P.S. Water quality and high quality fish food are considered a huge part of the remedy along with appropriate medication.

I'd wait for other people's responses as I am in the minority right now and I may be wrong.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I maybe totally wrong and I apologize in advance if I have misinterpreted the pictures because of the angle they were taken but I don't consider the fish looking normal. I'll explain why.

What I am seeing is not a bloated fish but a fish thinning out towards the back of the body. This makes the body look more "arched" shaped. This can happen in initial stages of emaciation and it is often related to a flagellate infestation. This disease has many names: bloat and wasting disease, hex, HITH, spironucleus vortens infection... to name a few. Not feeding the fish in this possible scenario is a big negative because if the fish has parasites, they can overcome the fish at times of starvation. Kanaplex will have no positive effect, and it is even possibly a negative as it is an additional stressor.

We've been discussing this a lot lately, and every one has a different opinion but here is mine....I'd consider this a possible case of flagellate infestation, most likely spironucleus vortens. The fish may not ever lose their appetite and eat but the nutrients get robbed by the flagellate, so it thins out or develops HITH.

As an example I'll put your picture against what I'd consider a healthy shape fish.

Your picture:
View attachment 1370122

Normal shape. See how the fish below is not "arched" looking?
View attachment 1370123

A platy fish below with severe emaciation.
In oscars, you may not see that sort of emaciation. You'll more likely see head and lateral line erosion in the advanced stage.

View attachment 1370124

And have a look at the shape of the oscar on the below link on page 1, the OP inquiring if his Oscars have HITH, which according to the response was being suggested as the culprit. Note the shape of the albino oscar, arched body shape sort of...but it's already in advanced stages where hole in the head is visible on the fish.

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/68-non-emergency-health-questions/252967-wound-or-hith

P.S. Water quality and high quality fish food are considered a huge part of the remedy along with appropriate medication.

I'd wait for other people's responses as I am in the minority right now and I may be wrong.
CL- What about the time line (been going on for a while) and the healthy stools? Also, not sure I am advocating not feeding as he has tried this.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
CL- What about the time line (been going on for a while) and the healthy stools? Also, not sure I am advocating not feeding as he has tried this.
But light feeding may be appropriate. In the natural setting (not HT). With clean water. Your thoughts?

Reactions: Coryloach

CombatWombat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
I did start feeding him again, ligthly, around 4 large pellets per day as soon as I realized he wasn't constipated, meaning as soon as he went into HT after a week of not feeding (as I saw a bit of poop). Hypothetically speaking, what would be the medication for flagellates? Prazi?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I believe it can go on for quite a while, many months if not way longer depending on the rest of the conditions as fish do fight off via an improved immune system by other means. I also believe that when the obvious signs are present, the condition is advanced enough and that's when fish has the white poop, HITH, etc.. it's often then it loses appetite as well.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hypothetically speaking, what would be the medication for flagellates? Prazi?
Definitely not Prazi.

There are many that may be effective.

Food meds:

Magnesium sulfate in food(read RD. posts below I linked)
New Life Spectrum Hexshield - food containting garlic, magnesium sulfate and metronidazole

See links by RD.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/treating-hexamita-aka-spironucleus.523470/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/hith-revisited.650466/#post-7343405

Medications:

Metronidazole (pure form or Seachem Metroplex)
Dimetridazole (Waterlife Octozin)
Aminonitrothiazole(JBL spirohexol)

And a long winded discussion going on right now on the last few pages of the below.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ter-cichlids-in-hard-water-rant.714934/page-7

CombatWombat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Sounds good. I have most of these on hand, metro, MgSO4, and new life spectrum. In fact I tried feeding him the Hexshield when I first moved him to HT, and he didn't want it.. maybe the pellets are smaller than he likes, or he's too used to floating food, idk. Or maybe he was just not acclimated to HT yet, so I might try again. Now that I think about it, most of my fish don't particularly like them.

The MgSO4 seems like a little to no harm treatment even if the problem is not there, so I guess I could try that first. The only thing I'm missing from that thread is how long should the treatment be, and how do I know if I need to switch to something more aggressive like metro.

TL;DR: Epsom salt treated food seems effective and harmless. Should I try that first, and for how long? In HT, I guess?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store