Oscar Experts Needed

fayfay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2009
Scandinavia
Those arent hith, its their sensory organs..thingies. All oscars are supposed to have those. Theyre so tiny its hardly noticebale, right? They have these on the side of their head too.

nothing spooky =)

Sarin9390

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
fayfay,

Yea they are hardly noticeable. The only reason i noticed the one pit so fast is because its smack dab right in between the little guys eyes, but he has another on on the side of his head too.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
They look like this? Those are the sensory pits like fayfay said. That's where HITH will normally start, but if they're just pin holes it's normal. Good for you noticing them and asking though.

sensors.jpg

Sarin9390

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
TwistedPenguin;3110878; said:
They look like this? Those are the sensory pits like fayfay said. That's where HITH will normally start, but if they're just pin holes it's normal. Good for you noticing them and asking though.

Ok so if that hole gets more than a pin size than i need to figure out the problem and make adjustments.... got it.

I just got confused because i read some people say that there Oscar does not have sensory pits and then some say they do...i just dont understand...

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Sarin9390;3113787; said:
Ok so if that hole gets more than a pin size than i need to figure out the problem and make adjustments.... got it.
I just got confused because i read some people say that there Oscar does not have sensory pits and then some say they do...i just dont understand...
Some people just don't see as well as others lol. All Oscars have those sensory pits. Truly-the easiest way to keep Oscars healthy? Get a liquid API test kit and never let your nitrates get over 20 ppm without doing a 50-70% water change, feed a varied diet with plenty of veggies.

Predator726

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2009
Orlando, Fl
No need for panic, they all have um, they are sensory pits, HITH looks like deep gray blotches

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Yeah. My wild O has a huge crater between his eyes. I was getting worried as it developed. Then I saw that it is made of around thirty pinholes clustered together. It is totally weird-looking and I can see being worried. I still keep a close eye on mine to be sure it is stable. But it doesn't change and it's just pinholes. One of the more unsettling parts of Oscarhood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store