Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
<0.25ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
20ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi, I am new here but need help desperately. I have an Oscar fish which I moved recently from a 20g to a 180g tank especially setup for him. He has this rupture or tear in his anus I think? He was absolutely fine when I moved him into the 180g a few days ago. Can somebody help with what this is and what I can do to help him out? Pictures attached. Is this life threatening?

IMG-20210720-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20210720-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20210720-WA0008.jpg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Stop feeding any of the fish in that tank for at least 1 week and see if it heals. If you think you need medication I would get Seachem Paraguard and kanamycin sulfate. Treat in a quarantine tank. Do not feed in quarantine

rindam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2021
Stop feeding any of the fish in that tank for at least 1 week and see if it heals. If you think you need medication I would get Seachem Paraguard and kanamycin sulfate. Treat in a quarantine tank. Do not feed in quarantine
Thank you so much for responding. Do you know what this is exactly? Is it rectal prolapse? Will my Oscar survive? I don't have a quarantine tank unfortunately.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thank you so much for responding. Do you know what this is exactly? Is it rectal prolapse? Will my Oscar survive? I don't have a quarantine tank unfortunately.
I don't think its prolapse. It might have started that way, and quite possibly it swallowed gravel and was forced out, causing this injury after the prolapse. I'm guessing these guys are at least 10", so 2-3 weeks of no feeding will be fine for them.

Reactions: djsaltynuts
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store