Oscar problem

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
Hey guys, my oscar has been acting very strange lately. He is the most active fish that will jump straight out of the tank whenever I put my hand remotely close.... that's how aggressive he is. But now he has been laying in the substrate and swimming kinda normal but only in the very back of the tank, whenever I walk in he becomes scared of me and hides. Now, I checked my water yesterday and there was .1ppm of ammonia and .1ppm of nitrite, I did a 50% water change and used prime to de-chlorinate the water. Today the other fish have gone completely back to normal(begging for food constantly) but my oscar is still "sulking" around the tank. Any ideas on what's going on?

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
Also the temp of the tank used to be 88 when I was treating for ich, I now have moved it down to 84 and too eventually 80, could the temp change be a reason for this behavior?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Also the temp of the tank used to be 88 when I was treating for ich, I now have moved it down to 84 and too eventually 80, could the temp change be a reason for this behavior?
If any change in parameters will cause a fish to act differently. Oscar is stressed not sulking. You may have to cut back feeding until parameters stay stable.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
A sudden outbreak of ich rarely happens if all is well with your set up. Good water, adequate tank size and sensible stocking, along with a good maintainance schedule will help. Your outbreak of ich suggests that all's not well. Then for you to get rid of the ich only for ammonia and nitrite to show, again, tells me that somethings wrong.

You don't give details of tank size or stocking, or whether you've recently added new fish or your regular water change schedule so we're fumbling in the dark really.

Reactions: tlindsey

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
Oh well the ich came from a baby pbass I did not quarantine. And that ichs gone now. I had my brother clean my canister filter and I was thinking that he cleaned the whole thing in tap water, and I asked him and that was right, so all the beneficial bacteria in the tank was killed. I've been dosing stabilizer and I haven't been feeding.

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
The tank size is 210g and it has the a 5 inch oscar, 4 inch serevum, 3 inch jack demesy, and 3 1 inch kelberi pbass esoxlucius esoxlucius All the other fish are acting completely normal, begging for food and swimming laps around the tank.

Last edited:

Cabie

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2018
He acts like that because of the ammonia and nitrites. Once they are down to 0, his behaviour should slowly go back to normal. To keep your fishes safe until then, Prime can temporarily detoxify ammonia and nitrites, but you need to dose it every 24 or 48 hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store